1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EE vs. EET

1. May 6, 2010 #1
    Hi, i am in the process of trying to transfer to EE from EET. before i do i really want to know the big diffrence between this two fields. i am a hands on person, but i also do not mind having calculus as part of a more complex concept. and how big of a jump am i trying to make? thanks

urgent!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2010 #2
    It's a big jump. EE is quite demanding, long, tedious, and frankly, I never thought I'd graduate. But I did. I am now in the home stretch of a doctorate in EE, and it is really tough. I can't imagine ever graduating.

If you are a natuaral at math & science, it will still be demanding, but you can acclimate to it & graduate. If math and/or science are not your cup of tea, than maybe EE is not for you. How much math & science have you taken so far? Was it easy, hard, in-between? Answering these questions can give us a better idea on how to advise you.

Better yet, you should already have an academic advisor. Your advisor has your whole transcript & can answer your questions better than anyone. See your advisor. If you have the math & science aptitude for EE, then it will definitely get you further than EET. Then again, if you are not an R&D type person, but hands on, you may like EET better. BR.

Claude

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  4. May 6, 2010 #3
    I have completed project based calc 2 (or in the semester system project base calc 1 and a little more). i have taken college physics, but i need to take the university physics (calc based). over all i am comfertable with both subjects. i go A's for my math classes, and B's and A's for my physics classes. i have talked to my advisor, and i did not get a clear response that i can use to make my decision.

5. May 6, 2010 #4
    You will need to take calc-based physics, chemistry, drafting, statics, dynamics, thermodynamics, as well as calculus & differential equations. If you enroll in these courses & find them not suitable for you, you can always return to EET. But since you seem to be comfortable w/ calculus, then I'd say go for the EE. You career options will be greater, as well as your graduate school options. An EET degree requires many bridge courses to get an MSEE. These days, engineering is so competitive, especially with so many graduates from all over the world, that a BSEE will give you limited options. An MSEE, or even a Ph.D. is needed to enter R&D and innovative type fields.

If applying existing technology, or hands on type of work is what you seek, a BSEE or even a BSEET may be sufficient. But with a BSEE, should you later decide you want an MSEE, you are well prepared. With a BSEET, getting an MSEE involves a lot more work. You would have to take many undergrad EE courses before an MSEE can be attained.

Go for the BSEE, and then if it doesn't work, you can fall back on the BSEET. The BSEET degree has provided many with an opportunity to participate in the very exciting field of electronics w/o having to be a master at math/science. It gives the holder marketable skills as the BSEET is highly needed in industry. Not all jobs are R&D theory-intense innovative types of work. In fact most are not. BR.

Claude

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  6. May 8, 2010 #5
    Thanks much for your suggestions.

7. May 8, 2010 #6
    I am a EE student right now doing my first term.

If you truly love math and physics then give it a shot I think everyone is capable of doing it, it's just a matter of how much effort your willing to put into it

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook