Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EE with a minor in physics?

1. May 27, 2004 #1
    EE with a minor in physics???

I am seeking advice on some school decisions and I figured someone here could help since almost every one her is obviously educated on the subject.

On to my predicament:

Originally I wanted to do joint degrees in EE and physics. That is probably out of the question at this point just because an EE degree is hard enough in its self. I just found out that my college offers a minor in Physics; this would probably be right up my alley.
    My question is:
    If I got a Bachelors or masters degree in EE and added on a minor in physics would it elevate my carrier potential?
    If so how? Ex - Easier to get a job, faster upward mobility, make me shine above the next guy ect...

Thanks for any help you can give.

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2004 #2

Homework Helper

The answer to this question is always a speculation. You can look at it this way: It probably won't hurt your job prospects, and if you are interested in physics, then it won't be a waste of time anyway.

You may be unpleasantly surprised to find that the process of getting a job depends very little on your aptitude for it and far more on your non-job related job getting skills (i.e. interpersonal networking, writing a good resume, good communication, good interview skills, and the list goes on). If you are concerned about getting a job, then I strongly advise you to consult with your university's career center. That is how I got my hook-up, and I don't think I would have gotten it otherwise. As far as doing the job once you have it, if you are interested in physics, then I would recommend the minor, since that will make it more likely for you to "do physics" once you finally get a job.

Again, that depends on where you work. You will probably have "faster upward mobility" if you enjoy what you are doing, regardless of your educational background.

I don't have any doubt that this would be true, given two equal guys except that one has physics minor whereas the other does not.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?