Eectrodynamics-neutral points?

• Thread starter humanist rho
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the conversation discusses the number and location of neutral points inside a square where 4 fixed charges are placed in the corners. The solution involves finding the net electric field at different points and equating it to zero to determine the neutral points. It is also mentioned that the potential can be plotted to find the neutral points. The exact calculation and diagram for this problem can be found by referring to the solutions provided by other Homework Helpers.
humanist rho

Homework Statement

If 4 charges are kept fixed in 4 corners of a square,how many points are inside the square where the field vanishes?

2. The attempt at a solution

The central point is a neutral point because the net force is zero there. I want to know whether there's any other neutra point?

Physics news on Phys.org
What about the magnitude and sign of the charges? Are they all equal? ehild

ehild said:
What about the magnitude and sign of the charges? Are they all equal?

ehild

yes.equal charges of same sign.

Last edited:
Please help.
Theres more neutral points in the system. But how can i locate them?

See the picture. Try to locate the point along the diagonal.

ehild

Attachments

• neutpoint.JPG
    neutpoint.JPG
    4.1 KB · Views: 684
I think,to locate neutral point the net field due to 4 charges should be found and equated to zero.

At the point shown in figure , field due to the two diagonally opposite charges is [tex]\frac{q}{x^{2}}+\frac{q}{(a√2-x)^{2}}[/tex],a is the side of square.

How to find the field due to other two charges at the point or do they cancel each other?

Do not forget that the electric field is a vector. It has direction. So your formula is not correct. What is the contribution of the electric field due to the nearest charge and what is it from the other charge on the same diagonal?
As for the other charges, find their distance from the red point. Also find the direction of their electric field. Draw the electric field vectors into the picture. What are the horizontal and vertical components?

ehild

Net field,[tex]E = \frac{1}{4\pi \in _{0}}\left\{ \frac{q}{\left( a\sqrt{2}%
-x\right) ^{2}}\hat{x}-\frac{q}{x^{2}}\hat{x}+\frac{q\left[ \left( \frac{a}{%
\sqrt{2}}-x\right) \hat{x}+\frac{a}{\sqrt{2}}\hat{y}\right] }{\left[ \left(
\frac{a}{\sqrt{2}}-x\right) ^{2}+\frac{a^{2}}{2}\right] ^{3/2}}+\frac{q\left[
\left( \frac{a}{\sqrt{2}}-x\right) \hat{x}-\frac{a}{\sqrt{2}}\hat{y}\right]
}{\left[ \left( \frac{a}{\sqrt{2}}-x\right) ^{2}+\frac{a^{2}}{2}\right]
^{3/2}}\right\} [/tex]

The y components cancel.

[tex]ie,E=\frac{1}{4\pi \in _{0}}\left\{ \frac{q}{\left( a\sqrt{2}%
-x\right) ^{2}}\hat{x}-\frac{q}{x^{2}}\hat{x}+\frac{2q\left( \frac{a}{\sqrt{2%
}}-x\right) }{\left[ \left( \frac{a}{\sqrt{2}}-x\right) ^{2}+\frac{a^{2}}{2}%
\right] ^{3/2}}\hat{x}\right\} [/tex]

On equating to zero,

[tex]\left[ \left( \frac{a}{\sqrt{2}}-x\right) ^{2}+\frac{a^{2}}{2}\right]
^{3/2}x^{2}-\left( a\sqrt{2}-x\right) ^{2}\left[ \left( \frac{a}{\sqrt{2}}%
-x\right) ^{2}+\frac{a^{2}}{2}\right] ^{3/2}+2q\left( \frac{a}{\sqrt{2}}%
-x\right) \left( a\sqrt{2}-x\right) ^{2}x^{2}=0[/tex]

Am i complicating things?(i usually do so :) )

Well, it is not that complicated if you use other notations, but I can not find a proper root which is inside the square.

ehild

I asked the other HH-s, and they found neutral points along the bisectors of the sides.
Write up the equation for the electric field and type into wolframalpha.com to get the solutions. No need to use a or a/2 for the sides of the square, use the coordinates as they are in the figure.

ehild

Attachments

• neutsquare.JPG
    neutsquare.JPG
    4.9 KB · Views: 769
Still i didn't get it. :(

I chose the red point as (x,0)

Then my euations are,

[tex]E=\frac{q}{4\pi \varepsilon _{0}}\left[ \frac{[(x+1)\hat{x}-\hat{y}]}{%
[(x+1)^{2}+1]^{3/2}}+\frac{[(x+1)\hat{x}+\hat{y}]}{[(x+1)^{2}+1]^{3/2}}+%
\frac{(x-1)\hat{x}+\hat{y}}{[(x-1)^{2}+1]^{3/2}}+\frac{(x-1)\hat{x}-\hat{y}}{%
[(x-1)^{2}+1]^{3/2}}\right]=0 [/tex]

[tex]\frac{q}{4\pi \varepsilon _{0}}\left[ \frac{2(x+1)\hat{x}}{%
[(x+1)^{2}+1]^{3/2}}+\frac{2(x-1)\hat{x}}{[(x-1)^{2}+1]^{3/2}}\right]=0 [/tex]

[tex](x+1)[(x-1)^{2}+1]^{3/2}+(x-1)[(x+1)^{2}+1]^{3/2}=0[/tex]

In wolfram alpha the solutions are 0,and two imaginary numbers.

Sorry, i got it.
On approximating the solutions i got neutral points near ±0.7.

solution

At last i conclude that there are four neutral points.

Thank you very much for your time and effort,sir.

Last edited:
humanist rho said:
Sorry, i got it.
On approximating the solutions i got neutral points near ±0.7.

solution

Then can i conclude that there are 4 neutral points?

Congrats! There are five of them, including the centre.
Do not forget, that the ±0.7 is ±0.7 a/2 if the side of the square is a.
It can be shown that the neutral point must be in the plane of the square and on a symmetry element. But it appeared that the diagonal was not right.

It is easier to write up such problems in therms of the potential and plotting it out, looking for places where the gradient is zero.
If you plot the potential along one bisector, it has a minimum at the centre and maximums at about ±0.7.
In case of a diagonal, there is a broad minimum in the centre, and then the potential increases in both direction.

That was a challenging problem! And the solution was not mine, but of the other Homework Helpers: Vela, Gneill (he made a very nice picture, ask him to show it to you) Vanadium 50.

ehild

Hats off to them also.You all simply rock!

what is the exact calculation for his problem? please post it and also give the clear diagram about the potential.

1. What are electrodynamics-neutral points?

Electrodynamics-neutral points are locations in a magnetic field where the magnetic forces acting on a charged particle, such as an electron, are balanced and the particle experiences no net force. This occurs when the magnetic field lines intersect at a specific angle, known as the neutral point angle.

2. How are electrodynamics-neutral points different from magnetic poles?

Electrodynamics-neutral points are different from magnetic poles because they represent regions of balanced forces, while magnetic poles are areas of concentrated magnetic force. Neutral points are also specific points in space, while magnetic poles are defined as the ends of a magnet.

3. Can electrodynamics-neutral points be observed in nature?

Yes, electrodynamics-neutral points can be observed in nature. They are commonly found in the Earth's magnetic field, as well as in the magnetic fields of other planets and celestial bodies. They can also be created in laboratory settings using specialized equipment.

4. How do electrodynamics-neutral points affect charged particles?

Electrodynamics-neutral points have a significant impact on charged particles. When a particle reaches a neutral point, it experiences a sudden change in direction and may become trapped in a loop-like motion around the neutral point. This phenomenon, known as magnetic mirroring, is important in understanding the behavior of particles in magnetic fields.

5. Can electrodynamics-neutral points be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, electrodynamics-neutral points can be manipulated or controlled. Scientists have been able to create and manipulate neutral points in laboratory settings using specialized equipment and techniques. This has allowed for a better understanding of their behavior and potential applications in fields such as plasma physics and space exploration.