Making an Informed Choice: BSc in Engineering: EEE vs CSE

In summary, the best option for you is to study Electrical and Electronics Engineering. This will allow you to learn more about mathematics and physics. If you love physics, you can also study theoretical physics if you study EEE.
Ezio3.1415
I am now going to do my BSc in engineering in EEE or CSE... Now my question is what will be best for me... I have a good understanding of basic maths i.e. algebra,calculus,geometry especially combinatorics etc... To tell the truth combi has always been my favourite...

But I find Physics to be more fascinating... I wish I could study theoretical Physics... But in my country there is no good uni where you can do double major in Maths and Physics... ... My love for Physics and Maths is natural... I am thinking will I be able to be so to these 2 subjects... EEE seems to be more related to Physics than CSE...

I know you might need more information about me in order to give a proper suggestion... Ask me please... And please tell me about these two subjects and their fields where I will be working or in which sides I will do my post graduation on? And I am not thinking about job opportunities... Cause probably I am going to read 1 of these 2 for the rest of my life... So going to choose wisely... sadly I have only 12-13 days left...

However, if I study EEE will I be able to shift to theoretical Physics after my B Sc (only if I feel bored with EEE)... btw this option has a low probability... Anyway, answer it too please...

Thanks in advance... And please answer properly... My choice might decide whether I will be an asset to the science community or not... :(

Physics news on Phys.org
You should have posted this in academic advice.

I don't know what EEE is to help you; I'm assuming its some variant of electrical engineering.

I also don't know what CSE is; I'm assuming it's a mixture of computer science/engineering.

I also don’t know where you’re from, nor does anyone else. You should post that so people can get a better idea of where you’re coming from in the context of your question.

EEE --> Electrical & Electronics Engineering
CSE --> Computer Science & Engineering

http://www.buet.ac.bd/

i am in the same position that you're in btw .
but i think i will try to go for Electronic engineering
basically because you get to learn more calculus and generally more math and physics
so if you really love physics you would be able to buy a couple of books about physics * thermo , quantum or whatever * and educate yourself . that's what i will try to do .
i do love computers just probably as much as you do , but you have to make sure what do you love the most , learn a programming language , Experiment more with computers , if you do like it more than physics , go for it .
if you still have that secret affair with mother physik.. then go for electronic engineering

B4ssHunter said:
i am in the same position that you're in btw .
but i think i will try to go for Electronic engineering
basically because you get to learn more calculus and generally more math and physics
so if you really love physics you would be able to buy a couple of books about physics * thermo , quantum or whatever * and educate yourself . that's what i will try to do .
i do love computers just probably as much as you do , but you have to make sure what do you love the most , learn a programming language , Experiment more with computers , if you do like it more than physics , go for it .
if you still have that secret affair with mother physik.. then go for electronic engineering

This isn't quite true. CS and EE from many schools require the same math and physics background.

Student100 said:
This isn't quite true. CS and EE from many schools require the same math and physics background.

in his university , its divided into two different programs
so i wouldn't suppose so , at least here the math is a little bit weaker than Electronic Engineering,so is physics , but that's compensated with more courses in Programming and Computation .
it would be wise after all to check the course himself .

If there is no field for practice than your degree of Electrical Engineering is nothing but garbage. honestly CSE would not teach you anything that will change your life. but honestly if u really want to learn something than start now do it by urself, like start learning "micro controller" "PLC system" . For CSE you should learn coding, there is nothing alternative than "coding" for CSE students. but it is really matter of sorrow that for EEE students there is no place for practice. but for CSE students they can learn and practice coding in their home. so in word learning Engineering means you will be need of a place for practice. unless nothing is going teach you from this so called university.

Istiaque said:
If there is no field for practice than your degree of Electrical Engineering is nothing but garbage. honestly CSE would not teach you anything that will change your life. but honestly if u really want to learn something than start now do it by urself, like start learning "micro controller" "PLC system" . For CSE you should learn coding, there is nothing alternative than "coding" for CSE students. but it is really matter of sorrow that for EEE students there is no place for practice. but for CSE students they can learn and practice coding in their home. so in word learning Engineering means you will be need of a place for practice. unless nothing is going teach you from this so called university.
I would not head this advice. It simply is not true.

Student100 said:
Although they require the same backround in terms of classes, you will most likely dive deeper into physics in EE than you would in CS. EE contains fields such as E&M, RF, and controls that are very physics heavy

Do EEE, then learn things that you would learn in CS on your own. Self-learning CS is much easier (due to tons of resources and instant feedback when you're wrong) than learning all the electrical stuff on your own/labs.

donpacino said:
I would not head this advice. It simply is not true.Although they require the same backround in terms of classes, you will most likely dive deeper into physics in EE than you would in CS. EE contains fields such as E&M, RF, and controls that are very physics heavy

Concur in your assessment of the previous post, it's garbage. This thread is also old, so I'm sure he's made up his mind by now.

I disagree that EE goes into physics more than computer science. It's dependant on the program of study, but on average I would assume it's close. CS majors from good US schools are normally in the same department as the EE majors. I would even gamble to suggest that CS majors are introduced to more theory than EE majors, who are more practical based.

Anyway thread is old, and no real need for a debate. Have a nice day.

1. What is the difference between a BSc in Engineering with a focus on EEE and CSE?

The main difference between a BSc in Engineering with a focus on Electrical and Electronics Engineering (EEE) and Computer Science and Engineering (CSE) is the core subject matter. EEE focuses on the design, development, and application of electrical and electronic systems, while CSE focuses on the design and development of computer systems and software.

2. Which degree offers better career opportunities?

Both degrees offer excellent career opportunities in the engineering and technology fields. However, the demand for professionals with a background in CSE is currently higher, as technology and software continue to play a significant role in various industries. Ultimately, the best career opportunities depend on an individual's interests and skills.

3. What are the key skills gained from a BSc in Engineering in EEE and CSE?

The key skills acquired from a BSc in Engineering with a focus on EEE include knowledge of electrical circuit design, power systems, electronics, and communication systems. On the other hand, a BSc in Engineering with a focus on CSE provides skills in computer programming, software development, database management, and computer systems analysis.

4. Is one degree more challenging than the other?

Both degrees require a strong aptitude for math and science, and both can be challenging depending on an individual's strengths and weaknesses. However, some students may find one degree more challenging than the other based on their interests and abilities. It is essential to consider personal strengths and interests when choosing between EEE and CSE.

5. Can I switch between EEE and CSE during my degree program?

Many universities offer the option to switch between EEE and CSE during the first year of the degree program. However, it is essential to check with the specific university and program requirements, as some courses may not be transferable between the two disciplines. It is also important to consider the similarities and differences in the core subjects of each degree to ensure a smooth transition.