What is the Difference Between Speed and Velocity in Kinematics?

• Thread starter anarchy.spirit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between constant speed and constant velocity in relation to motion in a straight line and in a circle. It is clarified that something moving at a constant speed in a straight line has a constant velocity, while something moving in a circle has a constantly changing velocity due to centripetal acceleration. The conversation also addresses confusion between speed and velocity.
anarchy.spirit
wat moves at constant speed in straight line?

Physics news on Phys.org
These are some questions I need to answer..
>What moves at constant speed in straight line?
>What moves at constant speed in circle?

anyone here to help??

A lot of things can travel at a constant velocity in a straight line.

And I think that when something follows the path of a circle it is said to be constantly changing its speed (accelerating). Although I probably understood this wrong when I heard it.

Mozart said:
And I think that when something follows the path of a circle it is said to be constantly changing its speed (accelerating). Although I probably understood this wrong when I heard it.
confusing speed with velocity...

Are you looking for examples or what?

Something moving at a constant speed in a straight line has a constant velocity (no acceleration, no net force).

Something moving at a constant speed in a circle, has a constantly changing velocity (centripital acceleration toward the center of the circle).

free isolated objects

yourdadonapogostick said:
confusing speed with velocity...

hehe I always do.

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, acceleration, and time of an object in motion.

2. What are the basic equations of kinematics?

The basic equations of kinematics are the equations of motion:
- Position: x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2
- Velocity: v = v0 + at
- Acceleration: a = (v - v0)/t
- Time: t = (v - v0)/a

3. How is kinematics different from dynamics?

Kinematics deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion, while dynamics takes into account the forces acting on an object and how they affect its motion.

4. What are the three types of motion in kinematics?

The three types of motion in kinematics are:
- Uniform motion: when an object covers equal distances in equal intervals of time
- Uniformly accelerated motion: when an object's acceleration remains constant, resulting in a linear increase or decrease in its velocity
- Non-uniform motion: when an object's acceleration changes, resulting in a non-linear change in its velocity

5. How is kinematics used in real life?

Kinematics is used in various fields, such as engineering, robotics, and sports, to analyze and predict the motion of objects. It is also used in video game development to create realistic movements for characters and objects. In everyday life, kinematics can help us understand and improve our movements, such as in dance or sports, and can also be applied in transportation and navigation systems.