Can Electric Eels Power Our Christmas Trees?

In summary, an aquarium in Japan has found a unique way to save energy during the holiday season by using an electric eel to power the lights on their Christmas tree. The eel's movements in its tank produce up to 800 Watts of electricity, which is then supplied to the tree through cables. Despite concerns about the cost of feeding and caring for the eel, some see this as a creative and eco-friendly solution. However, others argue that it may infringe on other energy-saving methods, such as using laser-shark powered hydroelectric dams.
fourier jr
check it out:
An aquarium in Japan has discovered a novel way of saving energy this holiday season - the lights on the centre's Christmas tree are powered by an electric eel.

Every time the fish moves in its tank, it discharges up to 800 Watts of electricity which is supplied to the tree through cables.
http://www.russiatoday.ru/features/news/18499/video [Broken]
http://www.russiatoday.ru/news/news/18499 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Stupid idea, you have to feed the eel and keep the tank clean, which costs more than 0.8kW of electricity that isn't even constant.

Hmm, this infringes on my laser-shark powered hydroelectric dam. I'm calling my lawyer.

Well it IS a aquarium, which has to take care of the eel anyways. Good idea, if it were near me, I would take my grandkids to see it.

If we made eel the traditional Christmas dinner main course, this could all work out. You just sell Eelectric Trees [with the eel already in the base] that are powered by Christmas dinner.

dst said:
Hmm, this infringes on my laser-shark powered hydroelectric dam. I'm calling my lawyer.

I have one of those in my back yard. I have to keep feeding the damn shark.:cool:

That part must have been in the fine print.

Ivan Seeking said:
If we made eel the traditional Christmas dinner main course, this could all work out. You just sell Eelectric Trees [with the eel already in the base] that are powered by Christmas dinner.

Hmm, if we put a bunch off eels in an electric car would the cost of feeding them be cheaper than gasoline?

1. What is an eel-powered Christmas tree?

An eel-powered Christmas tree is a unique and sustainable way to light up your holiday decorations. It involves using electric eels to power the lights on your Christmas tree.

2. How does an eel-powered Christmas tree work?

The electric eels release electrical charges when they are startled or agitated. This electricity is then harnessed and used to power the lights on the Christmas tree. The eels are placed in a tank of water near the tree and their movements create the electrical current.

3. Is it safe to have electric eels in my home?

Electric eels used for an eel-powered Christmas tree are typically kept in a tank of water and are handled by trained professionals. As long as proper safety precautions are taken, it is safe to have electric eels in your home for this purpose.

4. Can any type of eel be used for an eel-powered Christmas tree?

No, not all eels have the ability to produce electric shocks. Only electric eels, which are a species of knifefish, have the ability to generate electricity and can be used for this purpose.

5. Are there any benefits to using an eel-powered Christmas tree?

Yes, there are several benefits to using an eel-powered Christmas tree. It is a sustainable and environmentally friendly option, as it does not require electricity from traditional power sources. It also adds a unique and fun element to your holiday decorations.