Electric Circuit: Path of Least Resistance

In summary, an electric circuit is a system that allows electricity to flow through a closed loop, typically made up of conductors, a power source, and a load. The path of least resistance in an electric circuit is the path that allows the current to flow with the least amount of resistance, ensuring efficient and safe operation. This is determined by the properties and arrangement of components in the circuit. If there is no path of least resistance, it can cause issues such as overheating and damage to components.
adz7861
Homework Statement
The power dissipated by resistor X when the switch is closed
Relevant Equations
p=IV
p=I^2R
V=IR
Capture2.JPG

I figured that when you close the switch the current from the upper cell will travel through the closed switch due to it being the path of least resistance, essentially the resistor between cells is unused (was my first thought). I'm not entirely sure how to progress with this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
adz7861 said:
Homework Statement:: The power dissipated by resistor X when the switch is closed
Relevant Equations:: p=IV
p=I^2R
V=IR

essentially the resistor between cells is unused
Despite the cell in series with it?

1. What is an electric circuit?

An electric circuit is a closed loop through which electricity can flow. It is made up of a power source, such as a battery, wires, and various components, such as resistors, switches, and lights.

2. What is the path of least resistance?

The path of least resistance is the path through which electricity will flow with the least amount of resistance. This is determined by the type and arrangement of components in the circuit.

3. How does the path of least resistance affect the flow of electricity?

In an electric circuit, electricity will always follow the path of least resistance. This means that the majority of the current will flow through the component or wire with the lowest resistance, while the rest of the components will receive less current.

4. What factors affect the path of least resistance?

The path of least resistance is affected by the type and arrangement of components in the circuit, as well as the material and thickness of the wires. The resistance of a component also plays a role, as higher resistance will result in less current flowing through that component.

5. How does the path of least resistance impact the overall performance of an electric circuit?

The path of least resistance is crucial in determining the overall performance of an electric circuit. If the path of least resistance is not properly designed, it can result in overheating, voltage drops, and even circuit failure. By ensuring that the path of least resistance is optimized, the circuit can function efficiently and safely.