What was the real cause of the eerie incidents at the tower?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the two soldiers think they were pranked by their fellow marines and that it was just some odd noises from the tower.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
...The night after hearing the laugh, Painter and Jackson were back in the tower - weary and a little jumpy. A few hours into the shift, the "ghost'' was back.

Both paratroopers said they could feel something moving behind them, and every once in a while it sounded like someone stepped on the trap door leading to the tower's middle level. The temperature in the tower dropped a few degrees, they said. Both men said they were huddled in the corner next to the radio.

"Are you movin'?'' Painter would ask when he heard something.

"No. You?'' Jackson would reply.

Then another tower called. The soldiers there said they were detecting a 3-foot-tall "form'' walking around the bottom of the tower that Jackson and Painter were in. The soldiers told Painter and Jackson that it looked like it was waving.

Reluctantly, Jackson said, he went to investigate.

"I walked around the whole balcony and didn't see anything,'' he said. [continued]
http://www.fortbraggnc.com/story.php?Template=local&Story=7052223

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I ain't 'fraid of no ghost!
I've seen enough odd things{that shouldn't autta been there} to make this tale believable. It dosen't mean I believe in spirts that roam the earth, just that there are some things you can't explain. Things that raise the little hairs on the back of your neck.

I'll put my money on this being exactly what the two guys are sure it wasn't: a prank by the fellow marines.

The rumor of a ghost was already in place to set them up. The laugh that "No grown man could have made..." came over the radio. The infrared "image" was reported to them from another tower, they didn't see it.

The sounds were probably lucky odd noises made by the tower itself, that fit accidently with the prank. The "feeling" of a presence is just the result of them being spooked to begin with.

1. What are some examples of eerie incidents that spook guards?

Some examples of eerie incidents that spook guards may include unexplained noises, sudden temperature changes, objects moving on their own, or sightings of ghostly figures.

2. How do guards typically respond to these eerie incidents?

Guards may respond to these eerie incidents with fear, confusion, or skepticism. Some may try to investigate the cause of the incident, while others may try to ignore it.

3. Are there any scientific explanations for these eerie incidents?

There are often scientific explanations for these eerie incidents, such as natural phenomena or human error. However, some incidents may remain unexplained and can be attributed to the human mind's tendency to perceive patterns and make connections.

4. What precautions do guards take to prepare for potential eerie incidents?

Guards may take precautions such as having proper training to handle emergency situations, utilizing surveillance equipment, and having a support system in place to report and document any unusual occurrences.

5. How can guards differentiate between real eerie incidents and false alarms?

Guards can differentiate between real eerie incidents and false alarms by following proper protocols and procedures, conducting thorough investigations, and using critical thinking skills to eliminate any possible natural or human explanations.