1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Effect of a change of coordinates

1. Aug 10, 2007 #1
    For a wavefunction given by

[tex]\psi(x,t) = \sum a_n u_n(x) exp(-i E_n T/\hbar) [/tex] how would you show that a change of coordinates x > x + d does not affect the momentum space wavefunction phi(x) by more than a phase change?
    You get phi(x) by Fourier transforming psi.
    So, I do not see why it would affect psi at all because you are moving the origin d to the left but you are integrating over all pace in the Fourier transform.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2007 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You mean we get phi(p) when doing fourier transformation with respect to p. How is E related to p? Have you tried doing the mathematics or are you just trying to solve it by looking at it? =P

4. Aug 11, 2007 #3

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

What you are saying exactly is not clear. Do you want to show that for two functions (of 'x') f and g and their Fourier transforms (functions of 'p') F and G, if f and g obey

[tex]
    g(x)=f(x+a)
    [/tex]

then F and G obey

[tex]
    G(p)=e^{ipa}F(p)\;.
    [/tex]

Is this what you want to show?

5. Aug 11, 2007 #4
    Exactly! That F and G only differ by a phase factor (so their moduli squared are the same).
    [tex]
    \phi(p,t)
    = \int\psi(x+d,t) e^{-i p x/ \hbar}dx
    = \int\psi(u,t) e^{-i p (u - d)/ \hbar}du
    =e^{i p d/ \hbar} \int\psi(u,t) e^{-i p u/ \hbar}du [/tex]

I think that rephrasing of the question helped me finish it!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2007
  6. Aug 11, 2007 #5

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

I'm glad. Good luck w/ the rest of your work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?