Exploring the Effects of Constant 'a' in the Exponential Function y = e^(ax)

• Thread starter k.udhay
  • Start date
In summary, the constant 'a' in the equation y=e^(ax) has various effects on the graph of the function. For positive values of 'a', the graph is shifted upward, while for negative values, it is shifted downward. Similarly, for positive values of 'a', the graph is shifted to the right, while for negative values, it is shifted to the left. The graph can also be reflected across the horizontal and vertical axes, and can be expanded or compressed based on the value of 'a'. The value of 'e' is a special constant, similar to π, and has various applications in mathematics. Its value is approximately 2.718 and it is used to find the
k.udhay
Hi,
In the equation " y = e^(ax), what is the effect of constant 'a'. Like, what happens to the shape of the curve when it becomes -, +, high or low? Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
hi k.udhay! :wink:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)

tell us what you think, and then we'll comment! :smile:

Hi tiny-tim,

I don't see any X^2 button... Thanks.

k.udhay said:
I don't see any X^2 button... Thanks.

you'll see it if you click the "Quote" button or the "Go Advanced" button :smile:

Hi tiny-tim,

About X2, understood the point. :)
Well, what I can derive easily is when x turns 0, the curve is a straight vertical line. For '+' x, it lies on right hand side, for '-' side the curve travels in left hand side.

Ah... Now, higher the 'x' value, more it will become flat towards right... Am I right?

k.udhay said:
Well, what I can derive easily is when x turns 0, the curve is a straight vertical line.

uhh? :confused:

which way up are you? :biggrin:

I am really sorry... It should be a horizontal line having an 'Y' interception 1... Correct now?

Well let's take x=1.

for a=1, y=e^1
a=2, y=e^2
a=3, y=e^3

So what is happening to the value of y as 'a' increases?

Y increases much faster than x... :)

k.udhay said:
Y increases much faster than x... :)

So can you now see the effect on the graph if 'a' is increased or decreased?

Assuming you have the graph of y = f(x), here are a few variants.
  • The graph of y = f(x) + a is a vertical translation (or shift) of the graph of y = f(x). If a > 0, the shift is upward. If a < 0, the shift is downward.
  • The graph of y = f(x - a) is a horizontal translation (or shift) of the graph of y = f(x). If a > 0, the shift is to the right. If a < 0, the shift is to the left. For example, the graph of y = (x - 2)2 looks like the graph of y = x2, but shifted horizontally to the right. Instead of the vertex being at (0, 0), the vertex in the shifted graph is at (2, 0).
  • The graph of y = -f(x) is a reflection across the horizontal axis of the graph of y = f(x).
  • The graph of y = f(-x) is a reflection across the vertical axis of the graph of y = f(x). For example, the graph of y = sin(-x) looks like the graph of y = sin(x), but reflected across the y axis.
  • The graph of y = af(x) represents an expansion away from the horizontal axis if a > 1, and a compression toward the horizontal axis if 0 < a < 1. If a < 0, there is also a reflection across the x-axis.
  • The graph of y = f(ax) represents a compression toward the vertical axis if a > 1, and a compression away from the vertical axis if 0 < a < 1. If a < 0, there is also a reflection across the y-axis.

rock.freak667 said:
So can you now see the effect on the graph if 'a' is increased or decreased?

Thanks rock.freak. Yeah, I think I can figure out the other cases. Now, let me ask my second question:
What is the need for finding this term 'e' which has a strange value of 2.718... When I read in wiki., it says a curve following ex will have its tangent at Y = 1 at an angle of 45°. But why does one need this combination?:confused:

Mark44 said:
Assuming you have the graph of y = f(x), here are a few variants.
  • The graph of y = f(x) + a is a vertical translation (or shift) of the graph of y = f(x). If a > 0, the shift is upward. If a < 0, the shift is downward.
  • The graph of y = f(x - a) is a horizontal translation (or shift) of the graph of y = f(x). If a > 0, the shift is to the right. If a < 0, the shift is to the left. For example, the graph of y = (x - 2)2 looks like the graph of y = x2, but shifted horizontally to the right. Instead of the vertex being at (0, 0), the vertex in the shifted graph is at (2, 0).
  • The graph of y = -f(x) is a reflection across the horizontal axis of the graph of y = f(x).
  • The graph of y = f(-x) is a reflection across the vertical axis of the graph of y = f(x). For example, the graph of y = sin(-x) looks like the graph of y = sin(x), but reflected across the y axis.
  • The graph of y = af(x) represents an expansion away from the horizontal axis if a > 1, and a compression toward the horizontal axis if 0 < a < 1. If a < 0, there is also a reflection across the x-axis.
  • The graph of y = f(ax) represents a compression toward the vertical axis if a > 1, and a compression away from the vertical axis if 0 < a < 1. If a < 0, there is also a reflection across the y-axis.

Thank you, mark. Your exlanation will help me extimate the behaviour of curves very easily!:approve:

k.udhay said:
Thanks rock.freak. Yeah, I think I can figure out the other cases. Now, let me ask my second question:
What is the need for finding this term 'e' which has a strange value of 2.718... When I read in wiki., it says a curve following ex will have its tangent at Y = 1 at an angle of 45°. But why does one need this combination?:confused:

You can consider 'e' to just be another special constant without having to go into the details of how to define it. Much like π.

For the y=1, θ=45° thing, you don't really have to memorize something like that but you can derive that as follows:

y=ex → dy/dx = ex i.e. dy/dx =y

So that when y=1, dy/dx =1 i.e. the gradient of the tangent at y=1 is 1.

The angle a straight line makes with the x-axis of gradient 'm' is given by tanθ=m or θ=tan-1(m) so in this case, m=1 such that θ=45°

rock.freak667 said:
You can consider 'e' to just be another special constant without having to go into the details of how to define it. Much like π.

For the y=1, θ=45° thing, you don't really have to memorize something like that but you can derive that as follows:

y=ex → dy/dx = ex i.e. dy/dx =y

So that when y=1, dy/dx =1 i.e. the gradient of the tangent at y=1 is 1.

The angle a straight line makes with the x-axis of gradient 'm' is given by tanθ=m or θ=tan-1(m) so in this case, m=1 such that θ=45°

Great explanation! Thank you!

1. What is the purpose of 'a' in the equation y = e^(ax)?

The variable 'a' represents the rate of change or growth factor in the exponential function. It determines the steepness of the curve and how quickly the function increases or decreases.

2. How does changing the value of 'a' affect the graph of y = e^(ax)?

Changing the value of 'a' will result in a vertical stretch or compression of the graph. A larger 'a' value will result in a steeper curve, while a smaller 'a' value will result in a flatter curve. The position of the curve on the y-axis will also change.

3. Can the value of 'a' be negative in y = e^(ax)?

Yes, the value of 'a' can be negative in the equation y = e^(ax). This will result in a reflection of the graph about the x-axis, with the curve decreasing as the x-values increase.

4. How does 'a' affect the domain and range of y = e^(ax)?

The domain and range of y = e^(ax) are both infinite. However, changing the value of 'a' can shift the domain and range horizontally or vertically. A positive 'a' value will shift the domain and range to the right, while a negative 'a' value will shift them to the left. Similarly, a positive 'a' value will shift the range up, while a negative 'a' value will shift it down.

5. What is the relationship between 'a' and the growth rate in y = e^(ax)?

The value of 'a' directly affects the growth rate of the function. A larger 'a' value indicates a faster growth rate, while a smaller 'a' value indicates a slower growth rate. The growth rate is equal to the value of 'a' in the equation y = e^(ax).