Effect of altering incident light intensity on absorption

Overall, it seems that there are multiple factors at play and further investigation is necessary to fully explain the results.
madmazda86
Hi all,

Physics was never my strong point at school, yet here I am looking at the differences between three types of graduated light filter for a Health Sciences Masters degree. I'm in the process of writing up, and one of my sets of results is a bit bewildering.

Basically, I measured the light absorption of these three filters (one of them's a graduated ND filter) using a strong light source and a weak light source. I was expecting the light absorption to be the same regardless of whether a strong or weak light source was used, because, well, the filters themselves haven't changed, they still block the same amount of light, it's just that the start and end points will be reduced because the light source is weaker. But no, using a weaker light source they block out more light at lower filter strengths compared to using a strong light source. I've used the same distance for all my measurements so it's not a change in that causing the difference. It's statistically significant so I need to come up with an explanation for this, and I am honestly stumped because everything I'm finding on the internet tells me what I suspected, that if incident light and transmitted light are proportionately reduced then absorption will be the same. Is it to do with there being more scatter with a weaker light source? Would be really grateful for some advice and even some journal article/website links if you have any!

Science news on Phys.org
</code>The answer to your question could be related to the amount of scatter that occurs with the weaker light source. When a weak light source is used, the light may not travel in a straight line, meaning that it can scatter in different directions and be absorbed by the filter at different angles. This can lead to more light being absorbed by the filter as opposed to when a strong light source is used. Additionally, weaker light sources tend to contain more wavelengths than stronger light sources, which may contribute to the increased absorption. It would be beneficial to look into research on light scattering and absorption in order to gain a better understanding of the phenomenon you are observing.

What is the effect of altering incident light intensity on absorption?

The effect of altering incident light intensity on absorption is that it can change the amount of light that is absorbed by a material. This can ultimately affect the material's properties and behavior.

How does the absorption of light change with different incident light intensities?

The absorption of light typically increases with higher incident light intensities. This is because more light energy is available to be absorbed by the material, leading to a higher absorption rate.

What factors can influence the absorption of light when altering incident light intensity?

There are multiple factors that can influence the absorption of light when altering incident light intensity, such as the material's composition, thickness, and surface properties. Additionally, the wavelength and polarization of the incident light can also play a role.

What are some real-world applications of altering incident light intensity on absorption?

One example of a real-world application is in photovoltaic cells, where increasing the incident light intensity can increase the amount of energy that is absorbed and converted into electricity. It is also important to consider incident light intensity in fields such as spectroscopy and optical sensing.

How can the effect of altering incident light intensity on absorption be measured?

The effect of altering incident light intensity on absorption can be measured through techniques such as spectrophotometry, where the amount of light absorbed by a material is quantified at different incident light intensities. Other methods include reflectance or transmittance measurements and using mathematical models to analyze the data.