Effect of an uncharged sphere touched to charged sphere

In summary, when a neutral sphere is touched to a charged sphere, the excess charge will be equally shared between the two spheres, resulting in a halving of the initial charge on the charged sphere. This is assuming that the two spheres are isolated from any other charged objects or external electric fields. The process of induction may also play a role in this phenomenon.
5.98e24

Homework Statement

Two identical metal spheres, each with a positive charge q, are separated by a centre-to-centre distance r. What effect will the following change have on the magnitude of the electric force exerted on each sphere by the other:

-one sphere is touched by an identical neutral sphere, which is then taken far away

Homework Equations

F2 / F= q1q2 / q1q2

where F is the initial electrical force, and F2 is the final electrical force.

The Attempt at a Solution

I looked at the solutions manual and it says this:

14wzi11.jpg

I just don't understand why one of the charges is halved. What does this have to do with the neutral sphere?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about what happens when the neutral metal sphere is touched to a charged metal sphere. Do the charges stay put?

gneill said:
Think about what happens when the neutral metal sphere is touched to a charged metal sphere. Do the charges stay put?

Since the stationary sphere is positive, that means that when a neutral sphere approaches it, the electrons in the neutral sphere will move towards the stationary sphere.

I don't know how that explains the halving of the charge, though.

5.98e24 said:
Since the stationary sphere is positive, that means that when a neutral sphere approaches it, the electrons in the neutral sphere will move towards the stationary sphere.

The sphere's touch. Are the electrons going to be satisfied moving only to the surface of the neutral sphere?

Also, you need not think about what the particular charge carriers are. Just think about the net charges on each sphere. The positive sphere has q positive charges. The neutral sphere has no charge. The positive charges on the charged sphere would like to get away from each other...

The electrons will move to the side with a positive charge. So the neutral sphere will become positively charged, and the previously positive sphere becomes negatively charged?

5.98e24 said:
The electrons will move to the side with a positive charge. So the neutral sphere will become positively charged, and the previously positive sphere becomes negatively charged?

Almost right. The previously positively charged sphere will become LESS positively charged. Charges stop moving once there is no potential difference to drive them. If the spheres have identical dimensions, then the charge will be split equally between them.

gneill said:
Almost right. The previously positively charged sphere will become LESS positively charged. Charges stop moving once there is no potential difference to drive them. If the spheres have identical dimensions, then the charge will be split equally between them.

So you mean that q1 = q2 now? And since the charge is split equally, q1 = q2 = q/2?

5.98e24 said:
So you mean that q1 = q2 now? And since the charge is split equally, q1 = q2 = q/2?

That would appear to be the logical conclusion :smile:

gneill said:
That would appear to be the logical conclusion :smile:

Great! Thanks a lot!

So this relationship holds true involving any two spheres of equal dimensions, as long as one is neutral and the other is either positive or negative to any magnitude, right?

5.98e24 said:

I agree with you that to say the excess charge is equally shared by the two spheres coming in contact is questionable. In my opinion, it's a HUGE assumption.

I would only be confident in the halving of the charge if when the two spheres are in contact, then each of them is the same distance from the third sphere. Otherwise, the third sphere will tend to push more than half of the excess charge onto the more distant of the two spheres.

SammyS said:
I agree with you that to say the excess charge is equally shared by the two spheres coming in contact is questionable. In my opinion, it's a HUGE assumption.

I would only be confident in the halving of the charge if when the two spheres are in contact, then each of them is the same distance from the third sphere. Otherwise, the third sphere will tend to push more than half of the excess charge onto the more distant of the two spheres.
What if there is no third sphere? Just two spheres?

5.98e24 said:
What if there is no third sphere? Just two spheres?

Which two spheres?

SammyS said:
Which two spheres?

The ones in my original question. There were only 2 to start with.

SammyS said:

We can be sneaky and specify that the two contacting spheres are equidistant from the third sphere.

It's not clear that poster 5.98e24 has covered induction charges in his course as yet.

If your question is: "What if two identical conducting spheres touch, will any excess charge be equally shared by the two spheres?" , then the answer is: "Yes, provided that they are isolated from any other charges object or externally produced electric field."

gneill said:
We can be sneaky and specify that the two contacting spheres are equidistant from the third sphere.

It's not clear that poster 5.98e24 has covered induction charges in his course as yet.

I'm a her .. :)

I did learn about induction, but that was a while ago. I haven't touched physics in a few years.

Thanks for all the help! Greatly appreciated!

5.98e24 said:
I'm a her .. :)

My apologies :smile:

gneill said:

It's still not clear whether 5.98e24 has covered induction charges, even after her response.

We could also move the single charged sphere to a very distant location while the other two touch, then bring it back to the original position after the other two separate.

5.98e24 is a puzzling name. It could represent a bit less than 10 moles.

SammyS said:
5.98e24 is a puzzling name. It could represent a bit less than 10 moles.

Or the mass of the Earth in kg.

That makes much more sense. Gives me an idea for 5.98e24's name, but I'll only post the guess if she's game.

5.98e24 said:
The ones in my original question. There were only 2 to start with.

In the original problem, 3 shperes are involved.
Sphere A and B has qA, qB charge, C has zero charge.

A and C touches, so A shares half of the charge with C.
Then C is taken far away.

Quinzio said:

Only under specific conditions will they share exactly half the charge.

In the 1st message it is clearly said that the spheres are identical. What other conditions to take account of ?
The closeness of the other charged sphere ?
mmm ok, but I guess this is far from the problem aim.

SammyS said:
That makes much more sense. Gives me an idea for 5.98e24's name, but I'll only post the guess if she's game.
Be my guest!

Quinzio said:
In the original problem, 3 shperes are involved.
Sphere A and B has qA, qB charge, C has zero charge.

Ah right! I forgot about that.

Quinzio said:
In the 1st message it is clearly said that the spheres are identical. What other conditions to take account of ?
The closeness of the other charged sphere ?
mmm ok, but I guess this is far from the problem aim.
They're 10cm apart and attract each other with a magnitude of 3.0 x 10^-6 N. I don't think it matters though.

My guess is Terra.

SammyS said:
My guess is Terra.

Creative, but no :) Nice try though !

1. How does touching an uncharged sphere to a charged sphere affect the overall charge distribution?

When an uncharged sphere is touched to a charged sphere, the overall charge distribution will become more uniform. This is because the charge from the charged sphere will be evenly distributed onto the surface of the uncharged sphere.

2. Will the total charge of the system change when an uncharged sphere is touched to a charged sphere?

No, the total charge of the system will remain the same. This is due to the principle of conservation of charge, which states that charge cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or redistributed.

3. How does the distance between the two spheres affect the amount of charge transferred?

The amount of charge transferred from the charged sphere to the uncharged sphere is inversely proportional to the distance between them. The closer the spheres are, the more charge will be transferred.

4. What will happen to the charge distribution if the charged sphere has a much higher charge than the uncharged sphere?

If the charged sphere has a much higher charge than the uncharged sphere, the overall charge distribution will become more uneven. This is because the charged sphere will transfer a larger amount of charge onto the uncharged sphere, resulting in a larger difference in charge between the two spheres.

5. Can the charge distribution be reversed by touching the spheres again?

Yes, the charge distribution can be reversed by touching the spheres again. If the same uncharged sphere is touched to the charged sphere, the charges will redistribute and the overall charge distribution will become more uniform once again.