Effect of EMP on electrons. And other EMP related questions.

• Thread starter T10
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrons
In summary: Could you post a link please?I give up. What is EMP? I need it to turn off my flashlight.In summary, an electromagnetic pulse, or EMP, is a wave pulse of enormous electric and magnetic fields that can disrupt electron flow in circuits and cause damage to electronic equipment. This can occur from natural events such as lightning or from man-made events like nuclear bomb testing. The effects of an EMP can last for several minutes and can potentially cause permanent damage to electronic devices.
T10
What exactly happens to electrons in presense of an EMP field?

Say you have a flashlight that is switched on, my general assumption is that if some sort of an EMP device goes off, the flashlight will turn off. Why ? Does the battery get discharged in a fraction of a second? If not, why won't the electrons flow then, when the chain is closed?

On top of that I remember reading a few times from various sources that during Nucular Bomb testing, EMP effect was provailant for more than 20 minutes after the initial explosion. How? Take an electro magnet for example, turn it on, place a paper clip to it, the clip will be held up. Turn the magnet off and the clip will fall, it won't be stuck up for the next half our (Unless of coarse the magnet becomes magnetized).

Or does the EMP effect take so long to disappear because of all the radioactivity still in the air?

Physics news on Phys.org
I give up. What is EMP? I need it to turn off my flashlight.

Meir Achuz said:
I give up. What is EMP? I need it to turn off my flashlight.

electro magnetic pulse

Do you know what ordinary light (and radio waves, and x-rays and all other stuff on the EM spectrum) is? It is a packet of energy of the electromagnetic field. An EMP, if you will.

masudr said:
Do you know what ordinary light (and radio waves, and x-rays and all other stuff on the EM spectrum) is? It is a packet of energy of the electromagnetic field. An EMP, if you will.

Yes, light, infrared, xrays, gamma etc, all part of the electromagnetic spectrum.

However, last time I shined a flashlight onto a bulb it did not turn off, so what range of the spectrum is the EMP in? What exactly is being emited to distrupt electron flow? And as to the original question, why does electron flow become disrupted? Or if whatever EMP is, if it is in the high energy spectrum, do such effects happen with all the high energy rays? (Last time I got an xray, I am pretty sure my watch still worked hahaha).

T10 said:
Yes, light, infrared, xrays, gamma etc, all part of the electromagnetic spectrum.

However, last time I shined a flashlight onto a bulb it did not turn off, so what range of the spectrum is the EMP in? What exactly is being emited to distrupt electron flow? And as to the original question, why does electron flow become disrupted? Or if whatever EMP is, if it is in the high energy spectrum, do such effects happen with all the high energy rays? (Last time I got an xray, I am pretty sure my watch still worked hahaha).

An "Electromagnetic" wave (such as light and other EM radiation), by definition, has both "electric" and "magnetic" fields. These fields oscillate in space and time. Since charge particles are affected by electric AND magnetic fields, it stands to reason that EM radiation will affect charged particles. And it does! A high-powered laser shot through a plasma can cause a "wake" especially in the "blow-out" region. This is a unique technique in an accelerating scheme[1]. We also use RF fields as accelerating fields in waveguides and LINAC, which is the most common method used in particle accelerators.

Zz.

[1] http://accelconf.web.cern.ch/AccelConf/e96/PAPERS/ORALS/FRX03A.PDF

An EMP due either to lightning or a power company accident can cause a short circuit in electrical equipment or burn out a connection or damage a component, anyone of which could stop operation, temporarily or permanently. Teller's idea was to use an EMP from a modified hydrogen bomb to destroy a missile, but I can go into that.

Thanks ZapperZ, I did have the general understanding of how particle accelerators worked (akin to maglev trains and so forth), but since you did mention it, trying to put the two together, in the very basic general assumption, an emp would "magnetically" grab onto the electrons moving in the circuit, and disrupt the flow? Or would the electrons still flow just fine, and the EMP would just mess up the EM field running on the outer surface of the wire/circuit board path/whatever? Most likelly both at the same time :tongue2:

Come to think of it, that makes sense. :smile:

Thanks!

However, last time I shined a flashlight onto a bulb it did not turn off, so what range of the spectrum is the EMP in?

If your flashlight was powerful enough, then the light it was emitting would short circuit any electronics through which it passed.

What exactly is being emited to distrupt electron flow?

Enormous electric and magnetic fields. These fields propagate outwards as a wave pulse. If the electric field is strong enough, it creates an appreciable voltage in the circuit, damaging it.

Light and radiation are electromagnetics wave-pulses, and above a certain level of power they are strong enough to destroy circuits. The term "EMP" seems to be reserved for these high-powered, destructive wave-pulses.

Crosson said:
Enormous electric and magnetic fields. These fields propagate outwards as a wave pulse. If the electric field is strong enough, it creates an appreciable voltage in the circuit, damaging it.

That is exactly what I was looking for, thank you.

T10 said:
On top of that I remember reading a few times from various sources that during Nucular Bomb testing, EMP effect was provailant for more than 20 minutes after the initial explosion.

I am very curious aboot EMP's in general, where did you here that the effect may last for ~20 minutes or so?

What is an EMP and how does it affect electrons?

An EMP (Electromagnetic Pulse) is a burst of electromagnetic energy that can disrupt the normal functioning of electronic devices. When an EMP occurs, it can cause electrons to be displaced from their normal positions, leading to disruptions in the flow of electricity and potentially damaging electronic components.

What are the sources of EMP and how do they differ?

EMP can be generated by both natural and man-made sources. Natural sources include lightning strikes and solar flares, while man-made sources include nuclear explosions and high-powered radio transmitters. The main difference between these sources is the level of intensity and duration of the EMP they produce.

How do different materials react to EMP?

The effect of EMP on different materials depends on their ability to conduct electricity. Metals are highly conductive and can easily absorb and dissipate EMP, which can protect electronic devices. Non-metallic materials, such as plastics and ceramics, are less conductive and may not provide as much protection against EMP.

Can EMP cause permanent damage to electronic devices?

EMP can potentially cause permanent damage to electronic devices, especially if they are not properly shielded. The intense burst of electromagnetic energy can overload and damage electronic components, rendering them unusable. However, modern devices are often designed with EMP protection in mind, making them more resilient to this type of event.

How can one protect against EMP?

The most effective way to protect against EMP is to use shielding materials, such as metal or conductive fabrics, to block the electromagnetic waves. Additionally, surge protectors and grounding systems can help to divert excess energy away from electronic devices. It is also important to keep electronic devices turned off and unplugged during an EMP event to minimize potential damage.