Should You Leave Water in Your Vacation Home to Raise RH?

In summary, the conversation is about whether it is necessary to leave pails of water in a vacation home in Phoenix to raise the relative humidity and prevent construction materials from drying out. The speaker questions the effectiveness of this method and the potential negative effects of too much humidity. They also mention the size and structure of the house. They ask for input on whether or not this is a necessary practice.
3Ds
I hope it is ok to post a rather pedestrian question to those of you who may laugh.
We own a vacation home in Phoenix and continually folks insist we should leave pails of water in the house while we're away to help raise the RH and keep construction materials from drying out, cracking etc.
This seems to me silly considering the small amount of water which would evaporate into the enclosure of the house not even taking into account the air exchange constantly taking place with the outside air.
If it matters, the house is 2050 sq. ft. with no basement and 10' ceilings.
Please let me know if it is me who is out to lunch. Would you water your house while away?
Thanks in advance for any and all input.
Brad

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the house made of? Too much humidity is bad as well.
The effect of some open water will depend on many factors.

1. How does evaporation affect relative humidity (RH)?

Evaporation is the process of liquid water turning into water vapor. As water evaporates, it increases the amount of water vapor in the air, which raises the humidity level. This means that evaporation can cause an increase in RH.

2. Does evaporation always increase RH?

No, evaporation does not always increase RH. It depends on the temperature and the amount of water vapor already present in the air. If the air is already saturated with water vapor, evaporation will not have a significant effect on RH.

3. How does temperature affect the effect of evaporation on RH?

Temperature plays a crucial role in the effect of evaporation on RH. Higher temperatures cause water to evaporate more quickly, which leads to an increase in RH. Lower temperatures, on the other hand, result in slower evaporation and a decrease in RH.

4. How does humidity affect the rate of evaporation?

Humidity, or the amount of water vapor already present in the air, has a significant impact on the rate of evaporation. The higher the humidity, the more difficult it is for water to evaporate into the air. This is because the air is already saturated with water vapor, making it harder for more water to evaporate.

5. Can evaporation decrease RH?

Yes, evaporation can decrease RH under certain conditions. If the air is already saturated with water vapor and the temperature decreases, the water vapor may condense back into liquid form. This decreases the amount of water vapor in the air, leading to a decrease in RH.