Effect of freezing on Lithium Ion Batteries

In summary: If your bms has higher figure for the recharge, say 4.2 instead of 4, its especially important not to freeze them at those levels.
NeoDevin
A quick google search reveals conflicting opinions on whether or not this will have a negative impact on battery life. I carry my laptop outdoors with me every day on my walk from the train to the hospital, do I need to worry about the cold ruining my battery?

Likes Marine23
Computer science news on Phys.org
These links should be reassuring.

This one shows that the capacity loss of a charged Li-I battery is actually best at 0 C. Of course, this is just barely freezing, but there is no caveat about temps lower than this.
www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm[/URL]

Another link (a pdf file) shows that they operate as low as -50 to -80 C. NASA requires -80C. I couldn't seem to copy the whole URL, but it can be found at:
[url]www.covalentassociates.com/[/url]

I don't know where you live, but if you still have to worry about it, dress warmly.

Last edited by a moderator:
The data I've seen says to expect between a 10% and 40% degredation if you freeze a fully-charged lithium battery then bring it back to normal operating temps (room temp). However, the same articles say any permanent damage is slight (1-3%).

Just make sure you charge it, and use it, when it's at room temperature!

I don't have a laptop. Are the batteries Li-ion, lithium polymer or lithium cobalt oxide chemistry?

Phrak said:
I don't have a laptop. Are the batteries Li-ion, lithium polymer or lithium cobalt oxide chemistry?

Most laptop batteries are Li-ion

My PSP uses a Li-ion battery. It's been in temps lower than 0c for hours multiple times and it lasted over 3 years and i never noticed a change in charge. This battery went through heavy usage too so i'd side with the little/no effect side.

BlackVenom said:
My PSP uses a Li-ion battery. It's been in temps lower than 0c for hours multiple times and it lasted over 3 years and i never noticed a change in charge. This battery went through heavy usage too so i'd side with the little/no effect side.

How much lower than 0C? Temperatures of <-40C are not unheard of here.

Li-Ion batteries are a non-aqueous type chemistry (they contain no water) and as far as I know are mostly made of up of solid electrodes and electrolytes, so below freezing temperatures should have no major mechanical effect on performance or life. A lower temperature will decrease performance but it will also decrease the discharge rate of the cell also. While high temperatures can kill a Li-Ion cell pretty fast, I don't think -40C+ temperatures will do any harm to something like a laptop or cellphone battery.

Cold temperatures will lower the discharge capacity of Lithium Ion laptop batteries (Co based), about 20% at -10C, when discharged at C/5 (i.e. normal) [1]. If the discharge rate is high (C vs C/5) then the low temperature capacity performance seriously collapses - by 50% and more - but only for the duration of the cold temperature operation. The reason for this is the temperature sensitivity of the electrolyte conductivity. Cold temperature discharge does not notably degrade the long term, cycle lifetime of the battery.

Hot discharge does degrade the cycle life. Repeated discharge at 45 deg C versus 20C lowers the cycle life by ~30-50%. [2] A major contributor to the loss of capacity life is electrode fatigue brought on by the expansion and contraction of the electrode lattice under charge and discharge; I suspect high temperature extremes accelerate this process.

[1]Vehicle batteries use a Fe based chemistry and nano structure which is more temperature stable than laptop chemistry, but still exhibits similar temperature behaviour.
[2]Linden, http://books.google.com/books?ei=1H...inden+battery+handbook&q=35.46#search_anchor"

Last edited by a moderator:
freezing can cause damage to the batteries in some cases, because the maximum voltage they can handle is reduced at cold temps. don't charge them under 10 degrees to be safe, and don't feeze them below 5 degrees when they are at maximum voltage, like 3.8 or 4.2 per cell, because at freezing they can only handle 3,7 voltage, so maxiumum overcharges them. so if you freeze your batteries, make sure you use them for 5 minutes first, to get to 95 percent recharge.

if your bms has higher figure for the recharge, say 4.2 instead of 4, its especially important not to freeze them at those levels.

it reduces their maximum capacity and subsequently they can't recharge as high as they did.

yeah, I agree with you.

1. How does freezing affect the performance of Lithium Ion batteries?

Freezing can significantly decrease the performance of Lithium Ion batteries. When a battery is frozen, the electrolyte inside the battery can freeze, causing expansion and potential damage to the internal structure. This can lead to reduced capacity and efficiency of the battery.

2. Can freezing cause permanent damage to Lithium Ion batteries?

Yes, freezing can cause permanent damage to Lithium Ion batteries. If the battery is exposed to temperatures below -20°C (-4°F) for an extended period of time, irreversible damage can occur to the battery's internal components, leading to decreased performance and potentially rendering the battery unusable.

3. Are there any precautions to take when using Lithium Ion batteries in cold temperatures?

Yes, there are precautions that can help mitigate the negative effects of freezing on Lithium Ion batteries. These include keeping the batteries at room temperature before use, avoiding exposing them to extreme cold temperatures, and allowing the batteries to warm up before use if they have been stored in a cold environment.

4. How does freezing affect the lifespan of Lithium Ion batteries?

Freezing can shorten the lifespan of Lithium Ion batteries. The expansion and contraction of the internal components due to freezing can cause structural damage and reduce the battery's overall capacity. This can lead to a decrease in the number of charge cycles the battery can withstand, ultimately shortening its lifespan.

5. What is the best way to store Lithium Ion batteries to prevent damage from freezing?

To prevent damage from freezing, it is best to store Lithium Ion batteries at room temperature, ideally between 15°C-25°C (59°F-77°F). If storing for an extended period of time, it is recommended to keep the battery partially charged (around 40-50% capacity) and in a cool, dry place. Avoid storing in extremely cold environments or exposing the battery to temperature fluctuations.