Effect of frequency & Intensity on number of photons

In summary, when the wavelength of electromagnetic radiation is reduced while the intensity remains constant, the number of electrons ejected per unit time will decrease and the maximum kinetic energy of the ejected electrons will increase. This is due to the fact that the energy of each photon increases as the wavelength decreases, leading to fewer photons being present in order to maintain the same intensity. Therefore, the effect on n and Emax is opposite, with n decreasing and Emax increasing.
Nancee

Homework Statement

Electromagnetic radiation of wavelength λ and Intensity I, when incident on a metal surface, causes n electrons to be ejected per unit time. The maximum kinetic energy of the electrons is Emax.

State and explain the effect, if any on n and Emax when the wavelength λ is reduced but the intensity I is unchanged.

Homework Equations

E=hf, and I'm not sure what else

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved this question with 2 different teachers, the first said that n will not change as I is unchanged. The other said that n will reduce because:
number of photons=Intensity/energy of 1 photon
I trust both teachers so I'm really confused now.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nancee said:
The other said that n will reduce because:
number of photons=Intensity/energy of 1 photon
I think that one of your teacher's misread the question because this is faulty logic. The question explicitly states that the intensity remains constant.

Hootenanny said:
I think that one of your teacher's misread the question because this is faulty logic. The question explicitly states that the intensity remains constant.

I happen to agree with that teacher and disagree with the first one!

yes, the intensity stays the same. But if you decrease lambda, you increase the energy of each photon.
Therefore, in order to get the same intensity there must be fewer photons present. Therefore fewer electrons will be ejected.

kdv said:
I happen to agree with that teacher and disagree with the first one!

yes, the intensity stays the same. But if you decrease lambda, you increase the energy of each photon.
Therefore, in order to get the same intensity there must be fewer photons present. Therefore fewer electrons will be ejected.
You are of course correct, scratch what I said. I apologise for any confusion. Perhaps it's time for a rest... :redface:

1. How does frequency affect the number of photons?

The number of photons emitted by a source is directly proportional to its frequency. This means that as the frequency increases, the number of photons also increases.

2. Does intensity affect the number of photons?

Yes, intensity is another factor that affects the number of photons. As the intensity of a source increases, the number of photons it emits also increases.

3. How are frequency and intensity related in terms of the number of photons?

Frequency and intensity have a direct relationship with the number of photons. This means that as either frequency or intensity increases, the number of photons also increases.

4. Can the number of photons be controlled by adjusting frequency and intensity?

Yes, the number of photons emitted can be controlled by adjusting the frequency and intensity of the source. By increasing or decreasing these parameters, the number of photons can be increased or decreased accordingly.

5. Is there a limit to the increase of photons with frequency and intensity?

There is no theoretical limit to the increase of photons with frequency and intensity. However, in practical situations, there are limitations such as the capacity of the source and the detection apparatus.