Correcting General Relativity Effect on Atomic Time

In summary, the International Bureau of Weights and Measures uses over 450 atomic clocks around the world to obtain a time standard with high accuracy. These clocks run at different rates due to their altitudes, and the procedure to correct for this effect involves adjusting the time for each clock based on its altitude above the geoid. This is done by multiplying the time signals by a scale factor, and each clock only needs to know its own scale factor relative to the geoid. However, this method does not account for the altitudes of the clocks, which can be compensated for using two-way satellite time transfer.
phoenix-anna
TL;DR Summary
The issue is how to combine the readings of atomic clocks running at different rates due to their different altitudes.
The International Bureau of Weights and Measures combines the readings of 450 atomic clocks around the world to obtain a time standard with sub-nanosecond accuracy. These clocks run at different rates - a clock at 1 km of altitude gains about 7 ns a day compared to one at sea level due to the weaker gravitational field. So what is the procedure to correct for this effect?

Physics news on Phys.org
As of 1 Jan 1977 all clocks that participate in the TAI are adjusted for their altitude above the geoid. Each clock is at a fixed altitude so the correction is just a scale factor.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
phoenix-anna said:
Summary:: The issue is how to combine the readings of atomic clocks running at different rates due to their different altitudes.

The International Bureau of Weights and Measures combines the readings of 450 atomic clocks around the world to obtain a time standard with sub-nanosecond accuracy. These clocks run at different rates - a clock at 1 km of altitude gains about 7 ns a day compared to one at sea level due to the weaker gravitational field. So what is the procedure to correct for this effect?
TAI is defined on geoid:
Wikipedia said:
International Atomic Time (TAI, from the French name temps atomique international[1]) is a high-precision atomic coordinate time standard based on the notional passage of proper time on Earth's geoid.
TAI is a weighted average of the time kept by over 400 atomic clocks[4] in over 50 national laboratories worldwide.[5] The majority of the clocks involved are caesium clocks; the International System of Units (SI) definition of the second is based on caesium.[6] The clocks are compared using GPS signals and two-way satellite time and frequency transfer.[7] Due to the signal averaging TAI is an order of magnitude more stable than its best constituent clock.
Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Atomic_Time

Wikipedia said:
The geoid (/ˈdʒiːɔɪd/) is the shape that the ocean surface would take under the influence of the gravity and rotation of Earth alone, if other influences such as winds and tides were absent.
Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoid

P.S.
Einstein concluded from SR and the rotation of the earth:
Einstein (1905) said:
From this, we conclude that a balance wheel clock placed at the equator must be slower by a very small amount than a similarly constructed clock which is placed at the pole, all other conditions being identical.
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Translation:On_the_Electrodynamics_of_Moving_Bodies#%C2%A7_4._The_physical_significance_of_the_equations_obtained_concerning_moving_rigid_bodies_and_moving_clocks.

What Einstein could not know in 1905 was, that GR time dilation compensates this very accurately due to Earth flattening (due to rotation of the earth). So proper time on geoid is very accurately the same at the poles and at the equator.

Source (in German, see chapter 14.3 - I used Firefox):
https://books.google.de/books?id=SEckBAAAQBAJ&lpg=PA168&ots=EcmAK7b1UI&dq=einstein zeitdilatation nordpol äquator&hl=de&pg=PA171#v=onepage&q=einstein zeitdilatation nordpol äquator&f=false

Last edited:
Likes FactChecker and vanhees71
Dale said:
As of 1 Jan 1977 all clocks that participate in the TIA are adjusted for their altitude above the geoid. Each clock is at a fixed altitude so the correction is just a scale factor.
Yes, all clocks on the geoid should run at the same rate because they are at the same gravitational potential. I am interested in the details of how the calculation is performed: given time signals for 450 clocks running at different rates, and knowing their time dilation factors, how exactly does one combine the time signals?

Obviously, one cannot simply multiply the time by the scale factor; that would be nonsense. One has to work with time intervals. There has to be a subtraction step. Perhaps one simply subtracts the current reading from the prior reading, applies the scale factor and adds the result to the prior reading. I don't know. This seems cumbersome - after a year the accumulated correction would amount to over 3000 ns.

I understand that the time delay receiving the signals from the different clocks can be compensated for by two-way satellite time transfer, but this calculation does not include the altitudes of the clocks.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
phoenix-anna said:
all clocks on the geoid should run at the same rate because they are at the same gravitational potential.
That's correct, if you mean the effective potential due to gravitational force and centrifugal force of the rotating and flattened earth.

phoenix-anna said:
Yes, all clocks on the geoid should run at the same rate because they are at the same gravitational potential. I am interested in the details of how the calculation is performed: given time signals for 450 clocks running at different rates, and knowing their time dilation factors, how exactly does one combine the time signals?

Obviously, one cannot simply multiply the time by the scale factor; that would be nonsense.
I think the suggestion is that each clock applies its own scale factor all the time. I.e. it communicates a scaled version of its own local time. That means that each clock only has to know about itself, relative to the geoid standard.

Likes vanhees71
PeroK said:
I think the suggestion is that each clock applies its own scale factor all the time. I.e. it communicates a scaled version of its own local time. That means that each clock only has to know about itself, relative to the geoid standard.
Yes, that simplifies matters. However, I am left wondering exactly what is subtracted to obtain the time interval to which the scale factor is applied. Do all the clocks have to share a common start time for computing the interval?

phoenix-anna said:
Yes, that simplifies matters. However, I am left wondering exactly what is subtracted to obtain the time interval to which the scale factor is applied. Do all the clocks have to share a common start time for computing the interval?
I looked at a paper a while back on the calculations for GPS satellites and it had all sorts of things in there like allowances for atmospheric conditions. I guess these things ultimately get quite complicated whatever you do!

Likes vanhees71
phoenix-anna said:
Obviously, one cannot simply multiply the time by the scale factor; that would be nonsense. One has to work with time intervals.

Sure they can. If there were a 10% difference (for illustration) every local "tick" the clock reports 1.1 seconds have elapsed.

phoenix-anna said:
There has to be a subtraction step.
Every month the BIPM publishes a list of the (post-scaling) deviations of each participating clock from the ensemble average. The average is the TAI, and each clock has its own deviation which is subtracted.

Likes vanhees71
I think it might be valuable if the OP learned how NTP works. Forget SR and GR and atomic clocks for the moment. How does one form a consensus time with imperfect oscillators?

Then the SR (latitude) and GR (altitude) effects are simply examples of known offsets.

PeroK said:
This is described there:
PTB said:
TAI and the gravitational time dilatation
Due to the relativistic time dilatation caused by the Earth's gravitational potential, the SI second could only be realized by atomic clocks at sea level if no corrections were applied. In order to compensate for the gravitational time dilatation, the rates of atomic clocks located at an altitude ##h## above sea level are corrected by a relative amount of ## -1.09 \cdot 10^{-16} (h/m) ## .
Source:
https://www.ptb.de/cms/en/ptb/facha...e-in-germany/the-time-scales-tai-and-eal.html

Likes vanhees71
phoenix-anna said:
Obviously, one cannot simply multiply the time by the scale factor; that would be nonsense. One has to work with time intervals. There has to be a subtraction step. Perhaps one simply subtracts the current reading from the prior reading, applies the scale factor and adds the result to the prior reading. I don't know. This seems cumbersome - after a year the accumulated correction would amount to over 3000 ns.
[separate post]
However, I am left wondering exactly what is subtracted to obtain the time interval to which the scale factor is applied. Do all the clocks have to share a common start time for computing the interval?
This really doesn't seem that cumbersome to me. You could list all the clocks on a spreadsheet, with columns for the date/time they were turned on, scale factor, and current date/time. It's only four columns.

1. What is General Relativity and how does it affect atomic time?

General Relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein that explains the effects of gravity on the fabric of space and time. It predicts that time will pass more slowly in regions with stronger gravitational fields. This means that atomic clocks, which are highly precise timekeeping devices, will run at slightly different rates depending on their location in a gravitational field.

2. How does correcting for General Relativity's effect on atomic time improve accuracy?

By correcting for the effects of General Relativity, we can account for the slight variations in atomic clock rates due to differences in gravitational fields. This allows for more precise and accurate timekeeping, which is crucial for various scientific and technological applications.

3. What methods are used to correct for General Relativity's effect on atomic time?

One method is to use a mathematical formula called the Schwarzschild metric, which takes into account the strength of the gravitational field at a given location. Another method is to use a network of atomic clocks at different altitudes to measure the gravitational field and make corrections accordingly.

4. How significant is the effect of General Relativity on atomic time?

The effect is relatively small, with the difference in clock rates being on the order of nanoseconds per day. However, for highly precise timekeeping, even small variations can have a significant impact, which is why correcting for this effect is necessary.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect atomic time besides General Relativity?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect atomic time, such as the Earth's rotation and the Earth's magnetic field. These factors can also be corrected for to improve the accuracy of atomic time measurements.