1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Effect of pH on AmylaseNeed help

1. Oct 13, 2007 #1
    Hi guys, i have been set some coursework by school on the investigation of the effect of pH on the enzyme amylase. Im abit lost right now only just started A levels. Can someone suggest how i would carry out this investigation? Equipment and method would be much appreciated! And the results need to be quantitative and not qualitative.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2007 #2
    ahh my bad wrong board
  4. Oct 18, 2007 #3
    well you could use your spit (contains the enzyme) , pieces of bread (substrate) ,lemon juice/vinegar (to provide acidic medium) ,water (ph7.7 preferably distilled water),and an alkaline solution.To test to see if glucose has been produced use an iodine solution.
    Blue-black colour indicates that the result is positive.equipment needed : petri dishs :smile:
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2007
  5. Oct 18, 2007 #4
    hmmm...problem with iodine is that it doesnt give accurate enough readings to differenciate between the samples
  6. Oct 18, 2007 #5
    Try using a stronger acid and a stronger base. Remember salivary amylase works best in a range of +/- 6.0 - 8.0 .:smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?