Effect of pH on enzyme activity

In summary, the first-year student conducted an experiment by adding 1% starch and 1 drop of iodine to three test tubes. One test tube had 3 drops of 1M NaCl added, another had 3 drops of 1M HCl, and the third had 3 drops of water. The student observed that the NaCl solution turned clear in 75 seconds, the HCl solution did not change, and the water solution turned clear in 180 seconds. The student is seeking an explanation for what happened to the enzyme in each test tube.
originalr
I did an experiment and i AM A FIRST YEAR STUDENT AND I NEED HELP EXPLAINING WHAT TOOK PLACE. I ADDED 1% STARCH TO THREE TEST TUBES AND THEN 1 DROP IODINE. THEN IN ONE THE TUBE I ADDED 3 DROPS OF 1M NaCl AND then to another i added 3 drops 1M HCl and then i added to the last one i added 3 drops of water. i observed that the solution with NaCl took 75 sec to turn colourless or clear , THE SOLUTION WITH 1M HCl never changed and the solution with water took 180 second to turn colorless...How do i explain what really happen.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're already explained what -happened- just fine.

What happened to the enzyme in each test tube?

Also, this should be in the homework forum.

Last edited:
And no need to shout.

What is the effect of pH on enzyme activity?

The pH level of a solution can greatly influence the activity of enzymes. Enzymes are proteins that act as catalysts in biochemical reactions, and their function is highly dependent on their environment, including the pH level.

How does pH affect the shape of enzymes?

Enzymes have specific shapes that allow them to bind to substrates and catalyze reactions. Changes in pH can cause the enzyme to denature, meaning it changes shape and can no longer function properly. This is because pH levels can affect the charges on amino acid residues that make up the enzyme, altering its shape.

What is the optimal pH for enzyme activity?

The optimal pH for enzyme activity varies depending on the type of enzyme. Some enzymes work best in acidic environments, while others prefer more alkaline conditions. Generally, enzymes have an optimal pH range in which they can function most efficiently.

How does pH affect the rate of enzyme activity?

pH can affect the rate of enzyme activity in two ways. First, if the pH level is too far from the optimal range, the enzyme may denature and become inactive. Second, even if the enzyme remains active, changes in pH can alter the charges on the substrate, making it more or less likely to bind to the enzyme and slowing down the reaction rate.

How do extreme pH levels affect enzyme activity?

Extreme pH levels, either very acidic or very alkaline, can cause enzymes to denature and become permanently inactive. This is because extreme pH levels can disrupt the chemical bonds that hold the enzyme's structure together, resulting in irreversible changes to its shape and function.