Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Effect of pressure on a magnetic field

1. Dec 9, 2004 #1
    I don't know where else to turn, so I thought I'd pose a question in this forum.

I have an application where a permanent magnet is used in a high-pressure environment. In our first test in a pressure vessel, we observed a reduction in the intensity of the flux field as we increased vessel pressure. I'm not a physicist, but that doesn't seem logical to me. I can see temperature having an effect on the magnetic material itself, and in the flux field as a result, but I can't see how pressure would have any effect.

Does anyone have any information on this subject?

Thanks in advance,

Richard

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2004 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Questions like this are almost impossible to answer. You need to be very explicit in the description of your system. For example, how exactly did you increase the pressure in the vessel? How exactly did you measure the magnetic field flux? What is the configuration of the source of the magnetic field, is the vessel itself isolated magnetically from the outside? I've seen people measuring larger magnetic field in a vacuum chamber simply because that's when they turned on their vacuum pump, and thus, got a higher magnetic field value!

Unless there is a clear description of what is going on, I certain cannot answer this question.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?