Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Effect of Reactor

1. Jul 12, 2013 #1
    What would happen if a person come across magnetic field produced 22 kva reactor.? I thought probably nothing will happen. Is it correct or not?? If Yes, Will you have any supportive ans for my question?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2013 #2
    The KVA of the reactor does not really define the magnetic field strength. However there are application when people are routinely exposed to VERY high magnetic fields (MRI Imaging is a good example) and no adverse effects.

I did have my credit card magnetic strips erased - they were in my wallet - and I am completely nor..., wait bad example.

4. Jul 12, 2013 #3

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If it's iron core the magnetic flux stays almost completely in the iron.
    Air core , well it spreads out into surrounding volume.
    I worked next to a huge air core inductor for hours. The only effect I noticed is it rotated the display on my CRT oscilloscope.
    I can't remember the exact flux - but places in that power plant I could measure 2 volts AC 60 hz with my "Flux Detector", which was just a ten turn coil with area 1/10 square meter . Flux is easy enough to calculate from that.
    Next time i'd make it 1/3.77 square meters (or 1/pi for 50 hz).

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  5. Jul 12, 2013 #4

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Was that the scope at home after work? :biggrin:

6. Jul 12, 2013 #5

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The 'scope recovered as soon as it was out of the area.

But - hmmm .......... it wasn't long after that I met my wife, Fair Anne . She said I seemed somehow magnetic.....
    :tongue:

7. Jul 12, 2013 #6

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: You do have a magnetic personality. And I like it too. :approve:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook