Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Effect of Temperature on Chemical Reaction Equilibrium

1. Apr 21, 2017 at 5:51 AM #1
    here is the question (part I):
    MwGKy.png

For part I, I need some assistance, I cannot figure out how to do the question. I know eventually what to do, it's just working out the equilibrium constants I'm having trouble with. So to start, I want to work out the K values at 600K and 800K, I do this by considering the total pressure:

$$
    \text{Total Pressure} = 1 \text{ bar}
    $$

Initially:

$$
    P^{o_2} + P^{HCl} = 1
    $$
    Since there are 4 mols of hcl per o2 we can write:

$$
    5P^{o_2} = 1 \implies P^{O_2} = 0.2 \text{bar}
    $$

85% conversion means that in the end, 85% of the oxygen has reacted therefore, there is 0.2*0.15 = 0.03 bar oxygen remaining, therefore 0.12 bar HCl remaining. In addition to this, each mol of oxygen reacted results in 4 new mols being created, therefore there are (0.85*0.2*2) bar of water (and also chlorine) produced, with this information, I can calculate my equilibrium constant, is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2017 at 7:00 PM #2
    Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted