Exploring the Solution to a Harmonic Oscillator Problem

In summary, the conversation is about finding the expectation value of position for a particle in a harmonic oscillator potential. The approach involves finding the time-dependent state and using ladder operators to express position. The question is about the energy term in the time-dependent part and why it does not change when applying the raising operator. The answer is that the energy terms are constants and should be put in before operating with the ladder operators.
rhysticlight
I am not really asking how to solve the problem but just for explanation of what I know to be true from the problems solution. Basically the original problem statement is this:

A particle in a harmonic oscillator potential starts out in the state
|psi(x,0)>=1/5 * [3|0> + 4|1>] and it asks to find the expectation value of position <x>.

Now the way I approached the problem was to first find |psi(x,t)> by simply "tacking on" the time dependent exponential terms and then expressing x through the ladder operators a+ and a-.

What I am wondering is when I, for example, apply the raising operator a+ to the state |0>*exp(-i*E0*t/h) does the function become |1>*exp(-i*E0*t/h) rather than |1>*exp(-i*E1*t/h) (i.e. why does the energy term in the time dependent part not change?)

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

rhysticlight said:
I am not really asking how to solve the problem but just for explanation of what I know to be true from the problems solution. Basically the original problem statement is this:

A particle in a harmonic oscillator potential starts out in the state
|psi(x,0)>=1/5 * [3|0> + 4|1>] and it asks to find the expectation value of position <x>.

Now the way I approached the problem was to first find |psi(x,t)> by simply "tacking on" the time dependent exponential terms and then expressing x through the ladder operators a+ and a-.

What I am wondering is when I, for example, apply the raising operator a+ to the state |0>*exp(-i*E0*t/h) does the function become |1>*exp(-i*E0*t/h) rather than |1>*exp(-i*E1*t/h) (i.e. why does the energy term in the time dependent part not change?)

Thanks!

The energy terms E1 and E0 are constants, namely multiples of [tex]\hbar[/tex][tex]\omega[/tex]. Put in these values, if you wish, before you operate with the ladder operators and see what happens.

Ah o.k. I see now, thanks!

1. What is a harmonic oscillator problem?

A harmonic oscillator problem is a type of physical problem that involves the motion of a system that can be described by a simple harmonic motion. This type of motion is periodic and is characterized by a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement of the system from its equilibrium position.

2. What is the solution to a harmonic oscillator problem?

The solution to a harmonic oscillator problem is a mathematical expression that describes the position, velocity, and acceleration of the system as a function of time. This solution is typically in the form of a sinusoidal function and can be used to predict the behavior of the system at any given time.

3. How do you explore the solution to a harmonic oscillator problem?

To explore the solution to a harmonic oscillator problem, you can use mathematical techniques such as differential equations and calculus to derive the solution. You can also use computer simulations and experiments to observe and analyze the behavior of the system.

4. What are some real-life examples of harmonic oscillator problems?

Some examples of harmonic oscillator problems in real life include the motion of a pendulum, the vibration of a guitar string, and the oscillation of a mass attached to a spring. These systems exhibit simple harmonic motion and can be described using the same mathematical principles as a harmonic oscillator problem.

5. Why is exploring the solution to a harmonic oscillator problem important?

Exploring the solution to a harmonic oscillator problem is important because it allows us to better understand and predict the behavior of physical systems. This knowledge can be applied in various fields such as engineering, physics, and biology to design and improve systems, develop new technologies, and make accurate predictions about natural phenomena.