Effect of the Sun's Gravity on the Moon

In summary: The Sun pulls on the Earth too.Both the Earth and the Moon are accelerated towards the Sun at approximately the same rate. They are in "free fall" around the Sun. In such a case, the Earth's gravity keeps the Moon orbiting around it while both of them orbit the Sun.But if you plot the path of the moon around the sun, the path is always concave toward the Sun and is not always concave toward the Earth.Or you could do it the hard way. Look up the mass of the Sun, the mass of the Earth, the sun to Earth distance and the sun to moon distance. Do the inverse square calculation and see which is larger.Edit: I
Deepak K Kapur
Is the gravitational pull of Sun on moon greater than the gravitational pull that Earth has over moon?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Deepak K Kapur said:
Is the gravitational pull of Sun on moon greater than the gravitational pull that Earth has over moon?
Yes

jbriggs444 said:
Yes

That seems a rather counterintuitive statement. Doesn't the Moon rotating around the Earth imply that that interaction is the dominant force?

rumborak said:
That seems a rather counterintuitive statement. Doesn't the Moon rotating around the Earth imply that that interaction is the dominant force?
It is a true statement.

If we ignore the Sun and consider the Earth and moon in isolation, the moon clearly orbits the Earth. Both are pulled by the Sun with roughly the same force, so this is a reasonable way of looking at the situation.

But if you plot the path of the moon around the sun, the path is always concave toward the Sun and is not always concave toward the Earth.

Or you could do it the hard way. Look up the mass of the Sun, the mass of the Earth, the sun to Earth distance and the sun to moon distance. Do the inverse square calculation and see which is larger.

Edit: I just looked up the relevant figures. The sun wins by a factor of roughly 333,000 on mass. The Earth wins by a factor of roughly 152,000 on r2. Net is a 2 to 1 win for the Sun over the Earth. That matches what I Googled up earlier and what my teachers told me half a century ago.

Last edited:
Likes sophiecentaur
jbriggs444 said:
It is a true statement.

If we ignore the Sun and consider the Earth and moon in isolation, the moon clearly orbits the Earth. Both are pulled by the Sun with roughly the same force, so this is a reasonable way of looking at the situation.

But if you plot the path of the moon around the sun, the path is always concave toward the Sun and is not always concave toward the Earth.

Or you could do it the hard way. Look up the mass of the Sun, the mass of the Earth, the sun to Earth distance and the sun to moon distance. Do the inverse square calculation and see which is larger.

Edit: I just looked up the relevant figures. The sun wins by a factor of roughly 333,000 on mass. The Earth wins by a factor of roughly 152,000 on r2. Net is a 2 to 1 win for the Sun over the Earth. That matches what I Googled up earlier and what my teachers told me half a century ago.

Then why is moon not ripped away from Earth...

Deepak K Kapur said:
The Sun pulls on the Earth too.

Likes Dr Aaron
Deepak K Kapur said:

Both the Earth and the Moon are accelerated towards the Sun at approximately the same rate. They are in "free fall" around the Sun. In such a case, the Earth's gravity keeps the Moon orbiting around it while both of them orbit the Sun.

I can definitely say "today I learned", heh. But yeah, I guess it makes sense. The difference of the sun's attraction to the moon, being in front of the Earth vs behind it is negligible, so for all intents and purposes the two are entirely oblivious of the sun and thus just circle around each other.

Likes jbriggs444
Deepak K Kapur said:
As already pointed out both the Earth and Moon are being pulled on by the Sun by pretty much the same amount. I say "pretty much" because at Full moon, the Moon is slightly further from the Sun than the Earth is and during the new moon is is slightly closer. This produces a small difference in the gravitational accleration on them caused by the Sun. This has the tendency to "stretch" the Moon's orbit along the Earth-Sun line. This is much like the effect the sun has on Earth's ocean tides, So we can say that the Sun has a tidal effect on the Moon's orbit. Unlike straight gravitational pull, tidal forces fall off by the cube of distance rather than by the square of the distance. (this is why, even though the Moon's gravitational pull on the Earth is much weaker than the Sun's, its tidal effect is larger. It is 1/400 the distance from the Earth than the Sun is.)
Now the larger the orbit around the Earth the stronger the Sun tidal effect on it is, and the weaker the Earth's grip on the orbiting object. At some point, the Sun wins this tug of war, an the object will drift off into an independent orbit around the Sun. This boundary of this critical distance is known as the Hill sphere. The Moon is nestled quite safely at a distance that is ~1/2 that of the radius of Earth's Hill sphere.

Likes Dale
##m_{earth} \approx 5.97237 \cdot 10^{24} \cdot kg##
##m_{sun} \approx 1,98855 \cdot 10^{30} \cdot kg##
##m_{moon} \approx 7.342\cdot 10^{22} \cdot kg##
##G \approx 6.67384 \cdot 10^{-11} \cdot kg##
##r_{moon-sun} \approx 149598023000 \cdot m##
##r_{earth-moon} \approx 384399000 \cdot m##

##F_{moon-sun}=\frac{G \cdot m_{moon} \cdot m_{sun}}{r_{moon-sun}^2} \approx 4.35386519 \cdot 10^{20} \cdot N##
##F_{earth-moon}=\frac{G \cdot m_{earth} \cdot m_{moon}}{r_{earth-moon}^2} \approx 1.98048874 \cdot 10^{20} \cdot N##

Thanks everybody...

Ok. I have deleted my post...I want to be cautious..

1. How does the Sun's gravity affect the Moon's orbit?

The Sun's gravity affects the Moon's orbit by exerting a force that pulls the Moon towards the Sun. This force causes the Moon to constantly accelerate towards the Sun, resulting in its curved path around the Sun.

2. Does the Sun's gravity affect the Moon's distance from Earth?

Yes, the Sun's gravity does affect the Moon's distance from Earth. The Sun's gravity pulls on the Moon, causing it to move slightly further away from Earth over time. This phenomenon is known as tidal acceleration.

3. How does the Sun's gravity influence the tides on Earth?

The Sun's gravity plays a significant role in creating the tides on Earth. The gravitational pull of the Sun, along with the Moon's gravity, causes the ocean waters to bulge on the side of Earth facing the Sun, creating high tides.

4. Does the Sun's gravity affect the Moon's rotation?

Yes, the Sun's gravity does affect the Moon's rotation. The Sun's gravitational pull causes the Moon to rotate at a constant rate, known as synchronous rotation, where the same side of the Moon always faces the Earth.

5. How does the Sun's gravity affect the Moon's surface?

The Sun's gravity has a minimal direct effect on the Moon's surface. However, the Sun's gravity does affect the Moon's surface indirectly through tidal forces, which can cause small bulges and depressions on the Moon's surface.