Relativistic Photon Mass: Can It Exist?

In summary, photons do not have rest mass and the concept of "relativistic mass" is not necessary or useful in understanding their energy.
virgil1612
TL;DR Summary
Photons do not have rest mass, but do they have "relativistic", or "effective", or "dynamic" mass?
Photons have 0 rest mass. But could I talk about relativistic, or dynamic photon mass, that would be the solution of
hf = mc^2 ? The relativistic mass would be m = m0/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2), where m0 is the rest mass, so 0, and v = c, so the denominator is also 0. The previous equations would give 0/0, so indeterminate, and could have a finite value. Am I allowed to think in these terms?
Thanks, Virgil.

Physics news on Phys.org
virgil1612 said:
Am I allowed to think in these terms?

Sure, you're allowed, but it isn't correct. :wink:

Photons are massless.

Likes vanhees71
Massless as per rest mass, but why couldn't I talk about that "relativistic" mass?

virgil1612 said:
Massless as per rest mass, but why couldn't I talk about that "relativistic" mass?
Rest mass, by definition, is the mass of a particle in its rest frame. As photons do not have a rest frame, they do not have a well-defined rest mass.

A better approach is to take a particle's invariant mass, encapsulated in the most important formula in SR: $$E^2 = p^2c^2 + m^2c^4$$ where ##E## and ##p## are the particle's energy and magnitude of momentum. You can reaarange this formual to definine the invariant mass of a particle as: $$m = \frac 1 {c^2}\sqrt{E^2 - p^2c^2}$$ This formula holds for massive particle and photons, with ##E = pc## and ##m = 0## for photons.

PeroK said:
Rest mass, by definition, is the mass of a particle in its rest frame. As photons do not have a rest frame, they do not have a well-defined rest mass.

A better approach is to take a particle's invariant mass, encapsulated in the most important formula in SR: $$E^2 = p^2c^2 + m^2c^4$$ where ##E## and ##p## are the particle's energy and magnitude of momentum. You can reaarange this formual to define the invariant mass of a particle as: $$m = \frac 1 {c^2}\sqrt{E^2 - p^2c^2}$$ This formula holds for massive particle and photons, with ##E = pc## and ##m = 0## for photons.
Thanks Perok, that's definitely useful. So we shouldn't even talk about relativistic mass, it's a wrong concept that leads us astray.

Likes PeroK
virgil1612 said:
Thanks Perok, that's definitely useful. So we shouldn't even talk about relativistic mass, it's a wrong concept that leads us astray.
Yes, if you want to study SR seriously and, especially, if you move on to General Relativity, it's a dead-end.

PeroK said:
Yes, if you want to study SR seriously and, especially, if you move on to General Relativity, it's a dead-end.
Thanks.

Likes berkeman
Though tricky, the system of a pair of photons generated by particle, anti-particle annihilation has mass because energy in CoM system is not zero. More generally the system of photons of different momentum has mass.

virgil1612 said:
Photons don't have a rest mass, because as massless particles they are never at rest in any inertial reference frame. There is no such thing as "relativistic mass". It's an outdated idea for about 112 years now!

mitochan said:
Though tricky, the system of a pair of photons generated by particle, anti-particle annihilation has mass because energy in CoM system is not zero. More generally the system of photons of different momentum has mass.
This is correct, but doesn't help much with the (non)question of photon mass. The rest mass of a system is not, in general, equal to the sum of the rest masses of its components and there is no internally consistent and generaly applicable way of attaching the discrepancy to any single part of the system.

Likes vanhees71 and Vanadium 50
virgil1612 said:
Summary:: Photons do not have rest mass, but do they have "relativistic", or "effective", or "dynamic" mass?

Photons have 0 rest mass. But could I talk about relativistic, or dynamic photon mass, that would be the solution of
hf = mc^2 ? The relativistic mass would be m = m0/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2), where m0 is the rest mass, so 0, and v = c, so the denominator is also 0. The previous equations would give 0/0, so indeterminate, and could have a finite value. Am I allowed to think in these terms?
Thanks, Virgil.

What you're trying to talk about is energy of the photon. You'll create no controversy and you'll be able to communicate clearly if you stick with E = hf.

Why would you think you needed another name for energy using (adjective) mass? Usually the desire to do that is motivated by something, and a discussion on what that something is can occasionally be prodocutive, though not necessarily short.

But the way your question was phrased was to just ask about terminology, and the hands-down winner on terminology is to call h*f "energy".

virgil1612 said:
hf = mc^2 ?

I don't see why you can't make such a definition. However, I also fail to see what would be gained in doing so.

You can make such a definition, but it's not useful. In relativity, both in SR (and even more importantly in GR), it is important to stick to quantities that are covariant under Poincare (in GR even under general coordinate) transformations.

From the mathematical structure of the Poincare group which determines the mathematical structure of special-relativistic spacetime (Minkowski space) it is clear that energy and momentum together build a four-vector and that one of the Casimir operators of the group, which is ##p_{\mu} p^{\mu}=m^2 c^2## is an invariant (a scalar). The Casimir operators are part of the specification of a physical system, and as it turns out from experiment, the photon has an invariant mass of zero (the empirical boundary is ##10^{-18} \text{eV}/c^2##).

The introduction of a socalled "relativistic mass" is misleading and superfluos, because it is just the energy of the system divided by ##c^2##, which for itself is not a covariant object but together with momentum transforms as the temporal component of a four-vector. So by introducing a "relativistic mass" you don't gain anything but introduce a lot of confusion. That's why in modern physics nobody introduces such a quantity anymore.

1. What is relativistic photon mass?

Relativistic photon mass refers to the concept that a photon, which is traditionally thought of as having no mass, may actually have a small amount of mass due to its high energy and speed.

2. How does the existence of relativistic photon mass affect our understanding of physics?

If relativistic photon mass exists, it would challenge the long-standing principle that photons have no mass and could potentially change our understanding of the fundamental forces and interactions in the universe.

3. What evidence is there for the existence of relativistic photon mass?

There is currently no direct evidence for the existence of relativistic photon mass. However, some theories and experiments, such as the Sagnac effect and the Pound-Rebka experiment, suggest that photons may have a small amount of mass.

4. How does the concept of relativistic photon mass relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

Einstein's theory of relativity predicts that mass and energy are equivalent, and that objects with mass cannot travel at the speed of light. If photons have mass, it would challenge this theory and require a reexamination of our understanding of the relationship between mass and energy.

5. Could the existence of relativistic photon mass have practical applications?

If relativistic photon mass does exist, it could potentially have practical applications in areas such as quantum computing and communication. However, further research and evidence is needed before any practical applications can be developed.