Effective potential help

In summary, the conversation discusses the electron-proton system in a hydrogen atom, with focus on the electrostatic force and potential energy. The effective potential energy for the system is given by V_eff = V(r) + (L^2)/(2mr^2), where V(r) is the electrostatic potential energy of the system and m is the reduced mass. This is because the system consists of two bodies - the electron and proton - with different masses, and the reduced mass takes into account this difference.
rbnphlp
An electron (of mass me and charge −e) in a hydrogen atom is located at position vector r
relative to the proton (of mass mp and charge +e) constituting the nucleus. It is attracted
to the proton by the electrostatic force
[tex]F =-\frac{e^2}{4\epsilon_0r^2}\hat{r}[/tex],
where e_0 is a constant (the ‘permittivity of the vacuum’). Find the potential energy V (r)
associated with the force F, assuming that V -> 0 as r -> infty. Find also the reduced mass
associated with the two-body system of the electron and the proton.
Find an expression for the effective potential energy V_eff associated with the radial motion
of the electron and the nucleus when the system has angular momentum L.

Im stuck on how to do the last bit .

[tex]V_{eff}=V(r)+\frac{L^2}{2mr^2}[/tex]but how do I find the combined Veff of electron and nucleus ?
Thanks ..

edit :wheter it says 872; should be a -

Physics news on Phys.org
rbnphlp said:
Im stuck on how to do the last bit .

[tex]V_{eff}=V(r)+\frac{L^2}{2mr^2}[/tex]

but how do I find the combined Veff of electron and nucleus ?
Thanks ..

edit :wheter it says 872; should be a -

Use the reduced mass for m. To find Veff you need V(r). That's the electrostatic potential energy of the proton-electron system.

kuruman said:
Use the reduced mass for m. To find Veff you need V(r). That's the electrostatic potential energy of the proton-electron system.

oh ok , thanks but why is that the case?

Why is what the case?

kuruman said:
Why is what the case?

oh sorry ..I meant to ask why do we consider the reduced mass for both of them ?
Edit : a quick wike gave me the answer what I was looking for .thanks for your help !

1. What is an effective potential?

An effective potential is a concept used in physics and engineering to describe the total potential energy experienced by a particle in a certain system. It takes into account both the potential energy from external forces and the kinetic energy of the particle.

2. How is effective potential calculated?

Effective potential is calculated by adding the potential energy due to external forces, such as gravity or electric fields, to the kinetic energy of the particle. This results in a total potential energy that takes into account the interactions between the particle and its surroundings.

3. Why is effective potential important?

Effective potential is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of particles in complex systems. By considering both the external forces and the kinetic energy of the particle, we can determine the stable equilibrium points and the paths that the particle will take.

4. How is effective potential used in research?

Effective potential is used in many areas of research, including astrophysics, particle physics, and material science. It helps scientists understand the behavior of particles in systems ranging from the microscopic level to the scale of the universe.

5. Can effective potential be applied to any system?

Yes, effective potential can be applied to any system where there are external forces acting on a particle. However, the level of accuracy and complexity of the calculations may vary depending on the specific system and the interactions involved.