1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Effective resistance

1. Mar 26, 2003 #1
    hey i have a problem with effective reisitance of a circuit

what is the current in a circuit containing a 10V battery , the resistance consists of a wire in the shape of a regular hexagon (all sides equal) with all the diagonals drawn. each side of the hexagon and each portion of the diagonal has a resistance R .
    (say the hexagon is ABCDEF and O is the pt. of intersection of all the diagonals then resistance of AB = resistance of BC= ....= resistance of OA = resistance of OC ...)
    i hope u understand..i would display a diagram if i could..but right now i am not able to..nevertheless , would appreciate any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2003 #2
    try to rearrange all the resistors
    just like with a cube of resistors, where you end up with (R//R//R)+(R//R//R//R//R//R)+(R//R//R)

4. Mar 26, 2003 #3
    do u mean..that i should try and figure out series and parallel connections..if that's what u mean..i did try.but i was'nt able to identify pts. having the same potential ,which is what one ought to do...isn't it ?

is there anyway u could explain what should be done a little more in detail?
    thanks in advance

5. Mar 26, 2003 #4
    what you said is what i meant, i am not good in that solving that kind of problems
    but if you can make a picture maybe i can help, am now in doubt whoich circuit you mean i can think of 2 different circuits now

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?