Effective Spring Constant for Three Masses and Four Springs

In summary: The two springs in parallel will act like a single spring with constant ##2k##. So the frequency is ##\sqrt{k/m}##. That's for one mass. The period is the inverse, so the period of the two masses connected by identical springs is ##2\pi \sqrt{m/2k}##. That's for two masses. The effective spring constant is ##2k##, as we said. So the frequency for two masses is ##\sqrt{2k/2m}##. The period is the inverse, so the period for the whole system is ##2\pi \sqrt{m/2k}##. The effective spring constant is ##
cowshrptrn
3 identical masses and four identical springs are set up as shown (m=mass ~=spring |=fixed point)
|~m~m~m~|

the two outside masses are displaced equally inwards. What is the effective spring constant of this system.

attempt at solution:

using FBDs F=-2kx on each individual outside mass
middle mass is stationary at all times, since the two inside springs will cancel each other out, so it acts as if T= 2pi rad(m/2k) (as if it were just |~m~|), but you double the mass for the system (only 2m is moving), but keep the period the same so keff = 4k

i'm not sure how correct this is, or whether the assumptions i made are even correct. This is how a classmate explained it to me, i personally left it as 2k since i couldn't logically justify making it 2m in the period equation since the system didn't follow the standard oscillation I'm used to.

i probably should stic a question here as well, lol

is this correct? It sounds as if I'm missing something, or that using period is the wrong approach to the problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The center of mass of the three masses is at the middle mass. If the outside masses are displaced by equal amounts inwards and then released, the center of mass will stay where it is, i.e. the middle mass will be at rest while the other two masses move back and forth mirroring each other. For all they care, the middle mass could be an immovable wall. The frequency of oscillations will be that of mass ##m## connected on either side to immovable walls by two identical springs of constant ##k##. What is that frequency?

What is an effective spring constant?

An effective spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of a spring, which determines how much force is required to stretch or compress the spring.

How is effective spring constant calculated?

The effective spring constant is calculated by dividing the applied force by the resulting displacement of the spring.

Why is effective spring constant important?

Effective spring constant is important because it allows us to predict the behavior of a spring under different force conditions and determine its suitability for a specific application.

What factors can affect the effective spring constant?

The effective spring constant can be affected by the material of the spring, its dimensions, and the number of coils. The surrounding temperature and any external forces acting on the spring can also impact its effective spring constant.

How can the effective spring constant be adjusted?

The effective spring constant can be adjusted by changing the material, dimensions, or number of coils in the spring, as well as by applying external forces such as weight or tension. It can also be adjusted by changing the temperature of the spring.