Calculating Earth's Effective Spring Constant for its Orbit Around the Sun

In summary: The effective spring constant is the derivative of the radial force equation.Again, I think all interpretations so far lead to essentially... the same answer.
Edel Crine
Homework Statement
Consider the nearly circular orbit of Earth around the Sun as
seen by a distant observer standing in the plane of the orbit.
What is the effective “spring constant” of this simple harmonic
motion?
Relevant Equations
T=2π√m/k
My first attempt was using the period equation of a spring system.
I've changed it into k=((2π)^2*m)/T^2, then put Earth's mass into "m" (5.972*10^24), then put the time required for one revolution of Earth around the Sun, 365 days into seconds, 31536000 sec, to "T"
So I got (2.371*10^11 kg/s^2) as the answer, but not sure whether is right or not...
I'll appreciate every single help from you!
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what the question intends. Another interpretation would be to consider the work required to increase the orbital radius by x and write W=kx2/2. Maybe that gives the same.

Likes Edel Crine
Edel Crine said:
Consider the nearly circular orbit of Earth around the Sun as
motion?
With respect to the question of interpretation...

The idea that I have is to adopt a rotating frame of reference that keeps pace with the orbitting Earth. In this frame, you have a radial distance which is a function of time and should be a decent approximation to simple harmonic motion. Tangential position is transformed into irrelevance.

Now for strategy...

If we continue to use this frame, we can concentrate on the radial forces acting on the Earth. If we add up those forces and write down a formula for force in terms of radius, it should give a result of zero at the equilibrium point (mean orbital radius of Earth).

What radial forces exist?

One wants to end up with a formula that only depends on r. It may be useful to remember that angular momentum and energy (both calculated in the inertial frame, of course) are constant throughout the orbit as r varies.

If one has a formula for force versus radial distance then the first derivative of this formula gives the effective spring constant.

Likes Edel Crine
jbriggs444 said:
With respect to the question of interpretation...

The idea that I have is to adopt a rotating frame of reference that keeps pace with the orbitting Earth. In this frame, you have a radial distance which is a function of time and should be a decent approximation to simple harmonic motion. Tangential position is transformed into irrelevance.

Now for strategy...

If we continue to use this frame, we can concentrate on the radial forces acting on the Earth. If we add up those forces and write down a formula for force in terms of radius, it should give a result of zero at the equilibrium point (mean orbital radius of Earth).

What radial forces exist?

One wants to end up with a formula that only depends on r. It may be useful to remember that angular momentum and energy (both calculated in the inertial frame, of course) are constant throughout the orbit as r varies.

If one has a formula for force versus radial distance then the first derivative of this formula gives the effective spring constant.
Isn't that equivalent to the interpretation in post #2?

Likes Edel Crine
haruspex said:
Isn't that equivalent to the interpretation in post #2?
Might be. I've not calculated it out.

I have trouble wrapping an intuition around the work approach. Conservation of energy applies in the inertial frame. [In the scheme that I have in mind, work (or potential energy) enters into a calculation of the centrifugal force].

Likes Edel Crine
jbriggs444 said:
Might be. I've not calculated it out.

I have trouble wrapping an intuition around the work approach. Conservation of energy applies in the inertial frame. [In the scheme that I have in mind, work (or potential energy) enters into a calculation of the centrifugal force].
Seems both are considering an oscillation resulting from a perturbation, so should give the same answer.
But as we know, the new orbit would be an ellipse on pretty much the same period as in the circular orbit, so I suspect it gives the same as the OP's idea.

Likes Edel Crine
Edel Crine said:
... Consider the nearly circular orbit of Earth around the Sun as
motion
?
Could this be what the question means (disregarding the difference in distances between perihelion and aphelion)?:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earths_orbit

201548-104410177-3862-im-11122159459043237267.gif

Last edited:
Likes Edel Crine
Lnewqban said:
Could this be what the question means (disregarding the difference in distances between perihelion and aphelion)?:

View attachment 268509
Yes. I agree with this interpretation. The far-away observer is looking at the orbital plane on edge, and, to this observer, the Earth seems to be oscillating horizontally in simple harmonic motion caused by an invisible spring. The oscillation is about the "equilibrium position" at which the Earth and sun are aligned with his line of sight, and the amplitude of the oscillation is the radius of the orbit.

Likes Edel Crine and Lnewqban
Lnewqban said:

View attachment 268509
Again, I think all interpretations so far lead to essentially this.

Likes Edel Crine

1. What is the effective spring constant?

The effective spring constant, also known as the equivalent spring constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring system. It represents the amount of force required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance.

2. How is the effective spring constant calculated?

The effective spring constant is calculated by taking into account the individual spring constants of each spring in a system and their arrangement. It can be calculated using the formula keff = k1 + k2 + k3 + ..., where k represents the spring constant of each individual spring.

3. What factors affect the effective spring constant?

The effective spring constant is affected by the individual spring constants, the number of springs in a system, and their arrangement. The material and dimensions of the springs can also impact the effective spring constant.

4. How does the effective spring constant impact the behavior of a spring system?

The effective spring constant determines how much a spring will stretch or compress in response to an applied force. A higher effective spring constant means the spring system will be stiffer and require more force to stretch or compress, while a lower effective spring constant means the system will be more flexible and require less force.

5. How can the effective spring constant be adjusted?

The effective spring constant can be adjusted by changing the individual spring constants, adding or removing springs from the system, or altering the arrangement of the springs. The material and dimensions of the springs can also be changed to affect the effective spring constant.