Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Effects Pedal

1. Mar 31, 2009 #1
    Hello all! Im building an effects pedal for my guitar (dont have a choice, I spent all the money I was saving on the guitar). Since electronic components are cheap, for once, Im glad Im studying EE.

At first I thought I'd design the circuits myself, but after doing a bit of research, I found a load of schematics available on whatever effects pedal I want, I do have a couple of questions though...

Ive used 741c op amps in all my practicals and Im familiar with them, however, can I use the 741C instead of T-1215 op amp?

Also is it absolutely necessary that I use the te series capacitors when required or will standard electrolytic ones suffice?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2009 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Any specific reason why you would use a 741?
    You do know that the 741 is really ancient and the only reason why it is still being used is because it is extremely cheap? I can't think of a good reason to use it for anything if you have a choice (unless you like the sound of it, even "bad" components can work in an effects pedal)

Anyway, do you mean LT1215? If so the answer is no, 1215 is a precision quad op-amp.

4. Mar 31, 2009 #3

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The 741 is still used because it is good enough in the cases it is used in, and of course it is cheap. It in all probability is good enough in this case.

5. Mar 31, 2009 #4

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, not if chaoseverlasting really meant LT1215 since that is a quad op-amp:wink:; I believe the quad version of 741 is called LM-something...

I agree that 741 is often good enough, and if you are planning to mass-produce something cost might an issue.
    However, you can get a significantly better op-amp for litteraly only pennies more so if there is any risk that e.g. dc-offset or noise can be issue (as it could be here) I would use something better.

Although if you have a "free" supply of 741 you could always start with that and replace it later if you want to (as long as it is in a socket).
    That is, if you really only need a single op-amp.

6. Mar 31, 2009 #5

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Someone once said a good design is one that the circuit will remain stable and work under the most varying conditions.

7. Apr 10, 2009 #6
    The thing is I'm familiar with the 741 cause I've been using it a lot. Other than that there's no particular reason. Also I think its the most easily available one. I may have to search around for the 1215. Also about the tantalum cap, is it absolutely necessary? From what I know you have to be really good at soldering to use it cause its easy to burn out and I dont know how expensive it'll be. Also 'normal' electrolytic caps are easier to find.

8. Apr 10, 2009 #7
    Another thing, I have an old DVD player thats no longer used. Its a sony player, is there anything that I could directly whack off of it?

9. Apr 10, 2009 #8

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Was I right to assume you meant LT1215?
    If so a 741 will -as I wrote above- definitly not work. LT1215 is a QUAD op-amp (=4 op-amps in the same capsule). Although I guess there is nothing stopping you from re-designing the circuit to use 4 individual op-amps instead (although it would make the circuit somewhat more complicatet).

10. Apr 11, 2009 #9
    What about using some of the chips off of the Sony player?

11. Apr 12, 2009 #10
    Where did you find schematics for effects pedals online? I am interested in making my own as well, but when I did a search a couple of months ago I couldn't find anything.

12. Apr 12, 2009 #11

alxm

Science Advisor

Are you kidding? There's lots. http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/schematics.html" [Broken], it's one of the bigger ones. (plenty of links to others, suppliers, kit makers etc)

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook