1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Efficiency of a Diesel Engine

1. Nov 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The figure shows the thermodynamic cycle of a diesel engine. This cycle differs from that of a gasoline engine in that combustion takes place isobarically. The compression ratio r is the ratio of maximum to minimum volume: r = V_1 /V_2. In addition, the so-called cutoff ratio is defined by r_c = V_3 /V_2.

Find an expression for the engine's efficiency, in terms of the ratios r and r_c and the specific-heat ratio y. Although your expression suggests that the diesel engine might be less efficient than the gasoline engine , the diesel's higher compression ratio more than compensates, giving it a higher efficiency (the ratio of the work delivered to the heat extracted during the combustion phase).

2. Relevant equations
    W = (p1v1 - p2v2) / (y-1)
    e = W / Q_h

3. The attempt at a solution
    Q_h = p(V_3 - V_2)
    W_12 = (p_1 V_1 - p_2 V_2) / (y - 1)
    W_23 = p(V_3 - V_2) (though I think this one is not work delivered)
    W_34 = (p_3 V_3 - p_4 V_4) / (y - 1)
    W_41 = 0

W = (p_1 V_1 - p_2 V_2) / (y - 1) + (p_3 V_3 - p_4 V_4) / (y - 1)
    = (p_1 V_1 - p_2 V_2 + p_3 V_3 - p_4 V_4) / (y - 1)

e = (p_1 V_1 - p_2 V_2 + p_3 V_3 - p_4 V_4) / [(y - 1) (p (V_3 - V_2))]

Since p_2 and p_3 are the same, this simplifies to...

e = (p_1 V_1 + p (V_3 - V_2) - p_4 V_4) / [(y - 1) (p (V_3 - V_2))]

Now, p_4 is not given and I cannot eliminate it so I don't know how to proceed from here. Please help.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted