1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Efficiency of a engine

1. Aug 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    9580085983_100df6b1fd_o.png
    Four thermodynamic processes A,B,C,D are shown in the picture. A and C are adiabatic processes. Pressure is held constant during B, and volume is constant during D. An engine run from A->B->C->D->... What is the efficiency of this engine (in terms of V1/V2)?

2. Relevant equations

[tex]p{ V }^{ \gamma }=const.\\ W=\int { PdV } \\ efficiency=\frac { W }{ { Q }_{ in }^{ } } [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is a problem I encountered in an exam. I labeled all points with P1,P2,P3,V1,V2,V3. The work done is the area enclosed in the picture. Heat absorbed is (work done in B) + (internal energy gained in B). But I can't write the answer with only V1/V2. I am wondering whether there is an answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The efficiency cannot be written in terms of only V1/V2. An ideal diesel engine has this type of cylce. So, you might do a search on efficiency of a diesel cycle.

4. Aug 25, 2013 #3
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted