1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Efficiency of a heat engine

1. Dec 7, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 52-kg mountain climber, starting from rest, climbs a vertical distance of 730 m. At the top, she is again at rest. In the process, her body generates 4.1 × 10^10 J of energy via metabolic processes. In fact, her body acts like a heat engine, the efficiency of which is given by e = |W|/|QH|, where |W| is the magnitude of the work she does and |QH| is the magnitude of the input heat. Find her efficiency as a heat engine.

2. Relevant equations

e = |W|/|Q_H|

PE = mgh

Q_C = Q_H - W

3. The attempt at a solution

I calculated the potential energy gained by climbing the mountain. I called this Q, and called the 4.1 X 10 ^10 J the Work. However, this did not give me the correct efficiency. Could someone guide me toward what I am missing? Thanks so much for your time

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2011 #2
    For mgh I got about 370,000 J. This is no where near the number you give 4.1 × 10^10 J.

Humans are pretty efficient so that number 4.1 × 10^10 J should be closer to 370,000 J.

The energy content of a gallon of gasoline is about 2.2E7 J. See,

http://www.phy.syr.edu/courses/modules/ENERGY/ENERGY_POLICY/tables.html [Broken]

From the same link, the energy content of a candy bar is about a million J. The climber would have to eat more then 10,000 candy bars to make the required energy.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Dec 8, 2011 #3

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have it reversed. Qh is the heat flow = 4.1e10 J. W, the work done, is the climbing = mgh. I agree with Spinner that Qh seems extremely high.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook