AZING CLIMBER! What is the efficiency of this mountain climber as a heat engine?

In summary: ZN Inc. is an American multinational corporation founded on July 5, 1994, by Jeff Bezos and based in Seattle, Washington. The company is the largest online retailer in the world by revenue and market capitalization. In summary, In summary, Amazon is a multinational corporation that sells a variety of products.
darw

Homework Statement

A 52-kg mountain climber, starting from rest, climbs a vertical distance of 730 m. At the top, she is again at rest. In the process, her body generates 4.1 × 10^10 J of energy via metabolic processes. In fact, her body acts like a heat engine, the efficiency of which is given by e = |W|/|QH|, where |W| is the magnitude of the work she does and |QH| is the magnitude of the input heat. Find her efficiency as a heat engine.

Homework Equations

e = |W|/|Q_H|

PE = mgh

Q_C = Q_H - W

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the potential energy gained by climbing the mountain. I called this Q, and called the 4.1 X 10 ^10 J the Work. However, this did not give me the correct efficiency. Could someone guide me toward what I am missing? Thanks so much for your time

Physics news on Phys.org
For mgh I got about 370,000 J. This is no where near the number you give 4.1 × 10^10 J.

Humans are pretty efficient so that number 4.1 × 10^10 J should be closer to 370,000 J.

The energy content of a gallon of gasoline is about 2.2E7 J. See,

http://www.phy.syr.edu/courses/modules/ENERGY/ENERGY_POLICY/tables.html

From the same link, the energy content of a candy bar is about a million J. The climber would have to eat more then 10,000 candy bars to make the required energy.

Last edited by a moderator:
darw said:
I calculated the potential energy gained by climbing the mountain. I called this Q, and called the 4.1 X 10 ^10 J the Work. However, this did not give me the correct efficiency. Could someone guide me toward what I am missing? Thanks so much for your time
You have it reversed. Qh is the heat flow = 4.1e10 J. W, the work done, is the climbing = mgh. I agree with Spinner that Qh seems extremely high.

AM

1. What is the efficiency of a heat engine?

The efficiency of a heat engine is the ratio of the work output to the heat input. It is a measure of how well a heat engine converts thermal energy into mechanical work.

2. How is the efficiency of a heat engine calculated?

The efficiency of a heat engine can be calculated using the formula: efficiency = (work output / heat input) x 100%. This formula takes into account the amount of work produced by the engine and the amount of heat energy supplied to it.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of a heat engine?

The efficiency of a heat engine is affected by several factors, including the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs, the type of working fluid used, and the design and construction of the engine.

4. Can the efficiency of a heat engine be greater than 100%?

No, the efficiency of a heat engine cannot be greater than 100%. This would violate the first and second laws of thermodynamics, which state that energy cannot be created or destroyed, and that heat always flows from a higher temperature to a lower temperature.

5. How can the efficiency of a heat engine be improved?

The efficiency of a heat engine can be improved by increasing the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs, using a more efficient working fluid, and optimizing the design and construction of the engine. Regular maintenance and proper operation can also help improve efficiency.