1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Efficiency of a Stirling Engine

1. May 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Derive an expression for the effiency of the cycle (of a Stirling Engine) working between two heat baths at temperatures T1 and T2 with volumes in the ratio V2/V1. Assume the working substance is a monatomic ideal gas.

2. Relevant equations

Work done=heat absorbed from going from V1 to V2 at constant temperature and is given by:

RT ln(V2/V1)

Heat absorbed in going from T1 to T2 is:

(3/2)R(T2-T1)

efficiency=1-Q2/Q1 where Q2 is the heat lost per cycle and Q1 is the heat gained per cycle.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have an expression but I have no idea if it was correct. I tried to google what the correct efficiency should be but I couldn't find it. My expression is:

[tex]\eta = \frac{(T_2-T_1) (ln(V_2/V_1)+3)}{T_2 ln(V_2/V_1) +1.5(T_2-T_1)}[/tex]

I don't think it's right, it looks a bit messy. If someone could tell me if it's correct or not that would be a great help. It would be an even greater help if someone could tell me where I have gone wrong or give me the correct expression so I can work out how to derive it.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I get a similar, but not identical, expression.

What did you get for Q1 and Q2?

4. May 15, 2009 #3
    I had, Q1, the heat absorbed, is:

[tex] R T_2 ln(V_2/V_1) + 1.5R(T_2-T_1) [/tex]

And Q2, the heat lost, is:

[tex] R T_1 ln(V_2/V_1) + 1.5R(T_1-T_2) [/tex]

5. May 15, 2009 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I got, for the final term in Q2, 1.5R(T2 - T1)

But we should clarify something: are you, like me, using T2 for the hot temperature and T1 for the cold temperature?

6. May 15, 2009 #5

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The heat lost at constant temperature in the compression part of the cycle (V2 to V1) is equal to the work done on the gas (per mole) (dU = 0) :

[tex]\int_{V_2}^{V_1} PdV = RT_1\int_{V_2}^{V_1}dV/V = RT_1\ln{(V_1/V_2)}[/tex]

The heat gained at constant temperature in the expansion part of the cycle (V1 to V2) is equal to the work done by the gas (per mole) (dU = 0) :

[tex]\int_{V_1}^{V_2} PdV = RT_2\int_{V_1}^{V_2}dV/V = RT_2\ln{(V_2/V_1)} = - RT_2\ln{(V_1/V_2)}[/tex]

Therefore:

[tex]|Q_h| = C_v(T_2-T_1) + RT_2\ln{(V_2/V_1)}[/tex] and

[tex]|Q_c| = C_v(T_2-T_1) + RT_1\ln{(V_2/V_1)}[/tex]

So plug that into:

[tex]\eta = W/Q_h = (Q_h-Q_c)/Q_h[/tex]

I get:

[tex]\eta = \frac{R\ln{(V_2/V_1)}(T_2-T_1)}{C_v(T_2-T_1) + RT_2\ln{(V_2/V_1)}}[/tex]

For a monatomic gas:

[tex]\eta = \frac{2\ln{(V_2/V_1)}(T_2-T_1)}{3(T_2-T_1) + 2T_2\ln{(V_2/V_1)}}[/tex]

AM

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  7. May 15, 2009 #6
    Thank you very much for all your help. Got it now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook