AZINGWhat is the efficiency of this thermodynamic cycle?

In summary: It's a cycle, though. So \Delta E = Q - W = 0 \Longrightarrow Q=W.Since it is a thermodynamic cycle, some of the heat flowing from the hot reservoir energy cannot be used to do work. So there is a loss of energy each cycle.The system returns to its original state so there is no change in internal energy over the cycle. In the forward part of the cycle (heat absorbed and work done):Q_h = \Delta U_{fwd} + W_{fwd}In the return part of the cycle (heat expelled, work consumed):Q_c = \Delta U_{ret} + W_{ret}So
mbrmbrg

Homework Statement

Suppose 1.0 mol of a monatomic ideal gas initially at 10L and 302K is heated at constant volume to 604K, allowed to expand isothermally to its initial pressure, and finally compressed at constant pressure to its original volume, pressure, and temperature.

(c)What is the net energy entering the system (the gas) as heat during the cycle?
(d)What is the net work done by the gas during the cycle?
(e)What is the efficiency of the cycle?

Homework Equations

[tex]\varepsilon = \frac{W}{Q_H}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a previous test that I took. I got the correct answers for parts c and d (both are 970 J), but I'm stumped for part e; I did not get the correct answser at the time, and my work makes no sense to me.
Looking at it afresh, I don't understand why the answer isn't 1: after all, doesn't W=Q_H? But I have down that the correct answer should be 0.1338 :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
mbrmbrg said:

Homework Statement

Suppose 1.0 mol of a monatomic ideal gas initially at 10L and 302K is heated at constant volume to 604K, allowed to expand isothermally to its initial pressure, and finally compressed at constant pressure to its original volume, pressure, and temperature.

(c)What is the net energy entering the system (the gas) as heat during the cycle?
(d)What is the net work done by the gas during the cycle?
(e)What is the efficiency of the cycle?

Homework Equations

[tex]\varepsilon = \frac{W}{Q_H}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a previous test that I took. I got the correct answers for parts c and d (both are 970 J), but I'm stumped for part e; I did not get the correct answser at the time, and my work makes no sense to me.
Looking at it afresh, I don't understand why the answer isn't 1: after all, doesn't W=Q_H? But I have down that the correct answer should be 0.1338 :confused:
No. W = Qh - Qc. The work done is always less than the heat flow into the system. The efficiency is simply the answer to part d) divided by the answer to part c). [Note: The answers to c) and d) cannot be the same]

AM

It's a cycle, though. So [tex]\Delta E = Q - W = 0 \Longrightarrow Q=W[/tex].

I checked with my friend (who got full credit for this question), but I really don't understand what she did.
What I remember is [tex]\varepsilon = \frac{W}{Q_H} = \frac{W}{Q_{?}+Q_{?*}}[/tex]
where ? and ?* are two of the three stages of the cycle. That formula turned into something terribly confusing with two terms, one with a ln and one with a volume difference.

Maybe I'll ask my friend for her test and post her work up here; this is from the first test of the semester and none of us understand why her formula works. Doubtful if we understood it at the time, either... Sigh.

mbrmbrg said:
It's a cycle, though. So [tex]\Delta E = Q - W = 0 \Longrightarrow Q=W[/tex].
Since it is a thermodynamic cycle, some of the heat flowing from the hot reservoir energy cannot be used to do work. So there is a loss of energy each cycle.

The system returns to its original state so there is no change in internal energy over the cycle. In the forward part of the cycle (heat absorbed and work done):

[tex]Q_h = \Delta U_{fwd} + W_{fwd}[/tex]

In the return part of the cycle (heat expelled, work consumed):

[tex]Q_c = \Delta U_{ret} + W_{ret}[/tex]

So over the whole cycle:

[tex]Q_h + Q_c = \Delta U_{fwd} + \Delta U_{ret} + W_{fwd} + W_{ret}[/tex]

Since [itex]\Delta U_{fwd} + \Delta U_{ret} = 0[/itex], (no change in internal energy),

[itex]Q_h + Q_c = Qh -|Qc| = W_{fwd} + W_{ret} = W_{net}[/itex]

AM

Last edited:

What is the Efficiency of an Engine?

The efficiency of an engine is a measure of how well it converts fuel into useful work.

How is Efficiency of an Engine Calculated?

The efficiency of an engine is calculated by dividing the useful work output by the energy input.

What Factors Affect the Efficiency of an Engine?

The efficiency of an engine can be affected by factors such as the type of fuel used, the design of the engine, and the operating conditions.

Why is the Efficiency of an Engine Important?

The efficiency of an engine is important because it affects the amount of fuel needed to produce a certain amount of work. A more efficient engine can save on fuel costs and reduce emissions.

Can the Efficiency of an Engine be Improved?

Yes, the efficiency of an engine can be improved through advancements in technology and design, as well as regular maintenance and proper use of the engine.