What is the Efficiency of a Carnot Engine?

In summary, the student is trying to find the efficiency of a Carnot engine, but is having trouble with the equation. He links to a more advanced article to help him, but ultimately fails.
CINA

Homework Statement

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7786/effx.jpg

Homework Equations

e=1-1/(V1/V2)^(gamma-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a practice test where he gives the solutions, as you can see the first thing he asks for is the efficiency, and lists the answer as 0.53. How did he get this? T1*V1^gamma-1=T2*V2^gamma-1 with t1=20 and T2=350, what am I doing wrong? (I assume this, but what am I supposed to do instead?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't recognize that formula for efficiency with the V1, V2 and gamma, so perhaps I am off on the wrong track! The usual way to find the efficiency of a heat engine is given here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_engine#Efficiency
and is 1 minus the square root of (Tc/Th) where Tc is the temperature of the exhaust and Th the temperature of the hot input gas. The temperatures MUST be in KELVIN degrees, so change your 20 to 293.

Sorry, beyond me! Hope someone else will help.
Do try your equation with Kelvin temperatures.

CINA said:
Using the equation you linked gave .31, which isn't as listed. The TV^gamma minus one is because its an adiabatic system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adiabatic_process#Ideal_gas_.28reversible_case.29

I think what you linked to is a bit more advanced, we are just doing carnot engines and such. Anything?
You do not need to apply the adiabatic condition here. All you have to know, as Delphi51 has correctly pointed out, is the relationship between efficiency of a Carnot engine and operating temperatures.

Efficiency = Output/Input = W/Qh = (Qh-Qc)/Qh = 1 - Qc/Qh.

In a Carnot engine, [itex]\Delta S = 0[/itex]. Since [itex]\Delta S = \Delta S_c + \Delta S_h = Q_c/T_c - Q_h/T_h [/itex] it follows that: [itex]Q_c/Q_h = T_c/T_h[/itex]. So the efficiency of a Carnot engine is always:

[tex]\eta = 1 - \frac{Q_c}{Q_h} = 1 - \frac{T_c}{T_h} [/tex]

Apply that to the problem.

AM[NOTE: A Carnot engine uses adiabatic expansion and compression, as well as isothermal expansion and compression. You could actually calculate the heat flows and work done in each stage of the cycle to determine the efficiency, which is what you seem to be trying to do. But that is quite unnecessary.]

1. What is the efficiency of an engine?

The efficiency of an engine is a measure of how well it converts the energy from fuel into mechanical work. It is usually expressed as a percentage, with higher percentages indicating a more efficient engine.

2. How is the efficiency of an engine calculated?

The efficiency of an engine is calculated by dividing the output energy (mechanical work) by the input energy (fuel energy). This ratio is then multiplied by 100 to get a percentage.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of an engine?

The efficiency of an engine is affected by various factors, including the design and size of the engine, the type of fuel used, the operating temperature, and the amount of friction and resistance within the engine.

4. Can the efficiency of an engine be improved?

Yes, the efficiency of an engine can be improved through various methods such as regular maintenance, using high-quality fuel, optimizing the design and size of the engine, and reducing friction and resistance through lubrication and other techniques.

5. Why is the efficiency of an engine important?

The efficiency of an engine is important because it directly affects its performance and the amount of fuel it consumes. A more efficient engine will have better performance and require less fuel, resulting in cost savings and reduced environmental impact.