Efficiency of an infinite series of Carnot cycles

In summary: I appreciate very much your interest in trying to solve my doubts about this problem. Indeed I am not sure if Qh depend upon Qc. My principal doubt at this moment is if the average efficiency of the series is independent of the amount of heat received by each Carnot Cycle. In your solution you assume that each cycle receives the same amount of heat. But what happen, if the case is more complicated and each cycle receives a different amount of heat? Would the average efficiency change?In summary, The question is about evaluating the average efficiency (e) of an infinite series of carnot cycles with a hot reservoir temperature of 990K and a range of cold reservoir temperatures (Tb) from 295K to 752K. The
  • #1
Iraides Belandria
55
0
Dear people of Physics Forums, I would like to have your opinion about the following problem: Suppose we are interested to evaluate the average efficiency ( e ) of an infinite series of carnot cycles. The temperature of the hot reservoir of each carnot Cycle of the series, Ta, is at 990K, but the cold reservoir of each cycle is at different temperatures ( Tb ) ranging from 295 K to 752K , in such a way that, the cold reservoir of the first carnot cycle is at 295 K and the cold reservoir of the last is at 752 K. ¿ What is the average efficiency of these series of Carnot cycles?. Now, we know that the efficiency of each Carnot cycle can be determined with the equation e= 1-Tb/Ta. Since we know the temperatures we can calculate the efficiency of each Carnot cycle of the series ranging from 295 to 752 K(e1, e2, e3, e4, e5, e6,e7.... ). ?How can we get the average efficiency from these set of individual values?. I notice that if I plot the efficiency of each Carnot Cycle versus Tb ( the cold resrvoir temperature of each cycle) I get an straight line. Then I applied the mean value theorem to get the average efficiency. I found that the average efficiency is 0.47. ? Is this procedure correct?.
 
Science news on Phys.org
  • #2
Iraides Belandria said:
Dear people of Physics Forums, I would like to have your opinion about the following problem: Suppose we are interested to evaluate the average efficiency ( e ) of an infinite series of carnot cycles. The temperature of the hot reservoir of each carnot Cycle of the series, Ta, is at 990K, but the cold reservoir of each cycle is at different temperatures ( Tb ) ranging from 295 K to 752K , in such a way that, the cold reservoir of the first carnot cycle is at 295 K and the cold reservoir of the last is at 752 K. ¿ What is the average efficiency of these series of Carnot cycles?. Now, we know that the efficiency of each Carnot cycle can be determined with the equation e= 1-Tb/Ta. Since we know the temperatures we can calculate the efficiency of each Carnot cycle of the series ranging from 295 to 752 K(e1, e2, e3, e4, e5, e6,e7.... ). ?How can we get the average efficiency from these set of individual values?. I notice that if I plot the efficiency of each Carnot Cycle versus Tb ( the cold resrvoir temperature of each cycle) I get an straight line. Then I applied the mean value theorem to get the average efficiency. I found that the average efficiency is 0.47. ? Is this procedure correct?.
The average efficiency would be the total work (output) divided by the total heat input:

Qh is the same for each cycle. Qc is proportional to Tc (Qc/Tc = Qh/Th). Since, W = Qh - Qc,

[tex]\eta = \frac{W}{Q_h} = \frac{\sum_{i=1}^n Q_h - Q_c(i)}{nQ_h}[/tex]

[tex]\eta = \frac{\sum_{i=1}^n 1 - Q_c(i)/Q_h}{n}[/tex]

[tex]\eta = \frac{\sum_{i=1}^n 1 - T_c(i)/T_h}{n}[/tex]

[tex]\eta = \frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^n 1 - T_c(i)/T_h[/tex]

[tex]\eta = \frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^n \eta(i)[/tex]

So the total efficiency over n cycles is 1/n times the sum of the efficiencies of each cycle.

AM
 
  • #3
Thanks Andrew for your help, but I still have a question because I have to sum infinite cycles and divide by n. ¿How can I get a numerical answer?. Because of this I use the mean value theorem of calculus. ¿Is that correct?
 
  • #4
Again, Andrew, ¿Why do you assume that each cycle receive the same amount of heat Qa? ¿ Will the average efficiency change if each cycle receive a different amount of heat, Qa1, Qa2, Qa3,...?. Thanks
 
  • #5
Iraides Belandria said:
Thanks Andrew for your help, but I still have a question because I have to sum infinite cycles and divide by n. ¿How can I get a numerical answer?. Because of this I use the mean value theorem of calculus. ¿Is that correct?
You would have to work out the series and determine the limit as [itex]n \rightarrow \infty[/itex]

[tex]\eta = \frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^n 1 - T_c(i)/T_h = \frac{1}{n}(n - \frac{1}{T_h}\sum_{i=1}^n T_c(i))[/tex]

Now if Tc is linear and the increments of Tc are 1 degree at a time then n = [itex]T_{cend} - T_{cbeg} + 1[/itex] so

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^n T_c(i) = \frac{(T_{cend} + T_{cbeg})(T_{cend} - T_{cbeg} + 1)}{2}[/tex]

So:

[tex]\eta = \frac{1}{n}(n - \frac{1}{T_h}\frac{(T_{cend} + T_{cbeg})(T_{cend} - T_{cbeg} + 1)}{2}) = (1 - \frac{(T_{cend} + T_{cbeg})(T_{cend} - T_{cbeg} + 1)}{2nT_h})[/tex]

Substitute for [itex]n = T_{cend} - T_{cbeg} + 1[/itex]:

[tex]\eta = (1 - \frac{(T_{cend} + T_{cbeg})(T_{cend} - T_{cbeg} + 1)}{2T_h(T_{cend} - T_{cbeg} + 1)}) = (1 - \frac{(T_{cend} + T_{cbeg})}{2T_h})[/tex]

As you increase n and decrease the increments, the series should converge to something very very close to this (if it is linear).

AM
 
Last edited:
  • #6
Iraides Belandria said:
Again, Andrew, ¿Why do you assume that each cycle receive the same amount of heat Qa? ¿ Will the average efficiency change if each cycle receive a different amount of heat, Qa1, Qa2, Qa3,...?. Thanks
Why would Qh depend upon Qc?

AM
 
  • #7
Andrew Mason said:
Why would Qh depend upon Qc?

AM
Excuse me, I don understand your answer to the second question.¿Would the average efficiency depends upon the heat received by each carnot cycle of the series or it is independen of it?
 
  • #8
Iraides Belandria said:
Excuse me, I don understand your answer to the second question.¿Would the average efficiency depends upon the heat received by each carnot cycle of the series or it is independen of it?
The average efficiency would depend on the total heat received, which is the sum of the heats received in each carnot cycle. I am assuming they are the same but they may not be. I was asking you why they would depend on Qc.

AM
 
  • #9
I appreciate very much your interest in trying to solve my doubts about this problem. Indeed I am not sure if Qh depend upon Qc. My principal doubt at this moment is if the average efficiency of the series is independent of the amount of heat received by each Carnot Cycle. In your solution you assume that each cycle receives the same amount of heat. But what happen, if the case is more general, and we assume different values for each carnot Cycle?. Would we obtain the same value?. Thanks
 
  • #10
Other mathematical question is related to find an average for a set of infinite values of efficiencies. As I have stated at the beginning of the thread, we can estimate the numerical eficciency of each Carnot cycle of the series without problem, because I know the temperatures of each Cycle. ?How can we evaluate the average of these values of efficiencies of the infinite carnot cycles?.We also can see that these set of values of efficiency varies linearly with Tc. ¿If this is the case, would be correct to say that the average coincides with the value giving by the limit of above series?.
 
  • #11
Iraides Belandria said:
Other mathematical question is related to find an average for a set of infinite values of efficiencies. As I have stated at the beginning of the thread, we can estimate the numerical eficciency of each Carnot cycle of the series without problem, because I know the temperatures of each Cycle. ?How can we evaluate the average of these values of efficiencies of the infinite carnot cycles?.We also can see that these set of values of efficiency varies linearly with Tc. ¿If this is the case, would be correct to say that the average coincides with the value giving by the limit of above series?.
As I said before, the average efficiency is the total Work done divided by the total heat input. You can't assume that the average efficiency is the average of all the individual efficiencies just as you cannot determine average speed by averaging speeds (ie. average speed it is total distance divided by total time not an average of speeds over the journey).

AM
 
  • #12
Dear Mason, If we assume that each carnot cycle receive differents amounts of heat from the hot reservoir, Qh1, Qh2, Qh3,...Qhi, we get the following expression for the average efficiency (Using above procedure)

n = (Qh1/Qh) n1+ (Qh2/Qh) n2 + (Qh3/Qh) n3 + ...(Qhi/Qh) ni

Where Qh is the total heat received fom the hot reservoir equal to Qh=Qh1+Qh2+ Qh3+ ...+Qhi+... , and ni are efficiencies of each cycle

This equation shows that the average eficciency, n , depends on the amount of heat received by the cycles. In a certain way each Qhi/Qh is a weigth to average the efficiency of the series of cycles. In your deduction you use a uniform weigth to get the average efficiency , Qhi /Qh = N , Where N is the number of carnot cycles. ¿Is this the weigth that we must use in order to compare the performance of any cycle against a series of carnot cycles?. ¿Statiscally , what will be the best weigth to compare an specific Cycle? ? What weight is fair, just ?
 
  • #13
Dear Andrew Mason, I have tried to understand how you obtain the following expresions in the limit of the serie proposed by you

n= Tcend -Tcbeg + 1
and

summatory Tc(i)= [(Tcend + Tc beg) ( Tcend - Tc beg + 1)] / 2

Could you explain these equations with more details?

Thanks
 
  • #14
Iraides Belandria said:
Dear Andrew Mason, I have tried to understand how you obtain the following expresions in the limit of the serie proposed by you

n= Tcend -Tcbeg + 1
and

summatory Tc(i)= [(Tcend + Tc beg) ( Tcend - Tc beg + 1)] / 2

Could you explain these equations with more details?
It is just the sum of an arithmetic series with increment of 1.

[tex]S = (n / 2) * [2i + (n-1)][/tex] where n = Tcend - Tcbeg + 1 and i = Tcbeg

eg:

[tex]5 + 6 + 7 + 8 + 9 + 10[/tex]

n = 6 (10-5+1); i = 5; S = (6/2) * (10 + 5) = 3 * 15 = 45

AM
 
  • #15
Andrew, Thank you, very much. I appreciate your cooperation, and I would like to say that my empirical results coincide with your proposition, as you may verify in the beginning of this thread. In any case, the most important consequence of this discussion is that I have found a thermodynamic cycle, operating between the temperatures levels proposed in this post, more efficient than an infinite series of carnot cycles. Because of this reason, I have insisted so much in the solution of this problem, from differents points of view. All of the alternatives, I have explored coincide with your results. thanks to god. Now, I think I am confident on my results. I am going to try to publish an article related to this cycle, and I am going to use this thread as a bibliographycal reference. ¿ Can I do this? . In the future, I will inform you about it.
 

Related to Efficiency of an infinite series of Carnot cycles

What is the concept of efficiency in an infinite series of Carnot cycles?

The efficiency of an infinite series of Carnot cycles refers to the ability of the system to convert heat energy into mechanical work. It is a measure of how well the system is able to use the input of heat to perform useful work.

How is the efficiency of an infinite series of Carnot cycles calculated?

The efficiency is calculated by dividing the work output by the heat input. In an idealized Carnot cycle, this can be expressed as the difference between the hot and cold temperatures, divided by the hot temperature.

What is the maximum efficiency that can be achieved in an infinite series of Carnot cycles?

The maximum efficiency that can be achieved is known as the Carnot efficiency, and it is given by the equation (Th - Tc) / Th, where Th is the temperature of the hot reservoir and Tc is the temperature of the cold reservoir.

How does the efficiency of an infinite series of Carnot cycles compare to other thermodynamic processes?

The efficiency of an infinite series of Carnot cycles is often used as a benchmark for other thermodynamic processes. It is the most efficient process for converting heat into work, and all other processes have efficiencies that are lower than the Carnot efficiency.

What factors can affect the efficiency of an infinite series of Carnot cycles?

The efficiency of an infinite series of Carnot cycles can be affected by factors such as the temperature of the hot and cold reservoirs, the nature of the working fluid, and the design and efficiency of the heat engine used to convert the heat energy into work.

Similar threads

  • Thermodynamics
Replies
2
Views
217
Replies
7
Views
1K
Replies
5
Views
1K
Replies
8
Views
12K
Replies
11
Views
2K
Replies
7
Views
1K
Replies
1
Views
8K
Replies
1
Views
1K
Back
Top