Efficiency of Carnot engine

In summary, the conversation discussed the problem of calculating the efficiency of a Carnot engine operating between two temperatures given the pressure and volume ratios. The solution involved using the ideal gas law to calculate the ratio of temperatures, resulting in an efficiency of 88.9%. The conversation also included a brief discussion about the number of moles and the individual's sleep deprivation.
Von Neumann
The problem:
An engine puts an ideal monatomic gas through a clockwise rectangular cycle on a PV diagram with horizontal and vertical sides. The lower left point has a pressure of 1 atm and a volume of 1m^3 and the upper right point has pressure and volume three times greater. Calculate the efficiency of a Carnot engine operating between the highest and lowest temperatures.

Solution (so far):
I know that for a Carnot engine e=1-T_c/T_h, but without being given the temperature differences I'm not exactly sure how you'd begin. I calculated the efficiency of the engine itself to be 22.2%, the work done in the cycle to be 4.04x10^7 J, and the heat absorbed in the cycle to be 434 kcal; if any of those quantities can be related to T_c/T_h. The answer comes to be 88.9%. Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try using the ideal gas law. Since you are given the ratios of pressures and volumes, you should be able to calculate the ratio of temperatures.

phyzguy said:
Try using the ideal gas law. Since you are given the ratios of pressures and volumes, you should be able to calculate the ratio of temperatures.

Since there are 2 unknowns, namely the temperature difference and the number of moles, I don't see an obvious way that I could use the ideal gas equation to solve this problem.

I promise you it will work. Can you write the ideal gas equation at Tc and Th?

Oh nevermind,

(P_3*V_3)/(P_1*V_1)=T_3/T_1
(3*P*3*V)/(PV)=T_3/T_1
9=T_3/T_1=T_h/T_c

Therefore,

T_c/T_h=1/9

So,

e=1-1/9=8/9=88.9%

Thanks! Sorry, for posting such an obvious question; just a little low on sleep.

You got it. Glad to help.

What is a Carnot engine?

A Carnot engine is a theoretical engine that operates on the Carnot cycle, which is a reversible thermodynamic cycle. It is used as a model for analyzing the maximum possible efficiency of any heat engine.

How does a Carnot engine work?

A Carnot engine works by using a working fluid, usually a gas, to absorb heat from a high-temperature reservoir and then release it to a low-temperature reservoir. This creates a temperature difference, which can be used to do work.

What is the efficiency of a Carnot engine?

The efficiency of a Carnot engine is given by the formula: Efficiency = (T1-T2)/T1, where T1 is the absolute temperature of the high-temperature reservoir and T2 is the absolute temperature of the low-temperature reservoir. This means that the efficiency is directly proportional to the temperature difference between the two reservoirs.

Why is the efficiency of a Carnot engine important?

The efficiency of a Carnot engine is important because it provides a theoretical upper limit for the efficiency of any heat engine. This means that no real engine can be more efficient than a Carnot engine operating between the same temperature reservoirs.

What are some real-world applications of the Carnot engine?

Although the Carnot engine is a theoretical concept, some real-world applications that use the principles of the Carnot cycle include refrigerators, heat pumps, and some types of power plants. These applications aim to achieve high efficiency by mimicking the Carnot cycle as closely as possible.