Optimizing Compressor Efficiency: Small vs. Large Volume Gas Compression?

In summary, the efficiency of an engine is the ratio of the power produced to the power used. It can be determined by calculating the mass of air required to produce a certain amount of torque.
chhitiz
for a given volume of gas,is it more efficient to compress smaller volumes of gas more no. of times or compress large volumes of gas less no. of times?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi chhitiz,
I'm not sure how you mean that. Consider for example, the compression of a gas from a lower pressure, P1 to a higher pressure, P2. Let's consider a single stage of compression that has a given iesntropic efficiency. Regardless of how much gas (how much mass) is compressed, the states the gas goes through, including how much energy is needed per unit mass, is the same.

The other way your question might be interpreted is if we have the same compression from P1 to P2, but we compress it in steps and then cool the gas off before compressing a bit more. In this case you'll find that this 'gradual' compression in which heat is being constantly removed during the compression process, is more efficient than the compression of the gas in a single stage. In other words, compressing a gas while removing heat requires less energy per unit mass than compressing the gas without removing heat. Compressing gas isothermally is the most efficient, though it isn't realisitic to see that ideal type of compression.

Q_Goest said:
Hi chhitiz,
I'm not sure how you mean that. Consider for example, the compression of a gas from a lower pressure, P1 to a higher pressure, P2. Let's consider a single stage of compression that has a given iesntropic efficiency. Regardless of how much gas (how much mass) is compressed, the states the gas goes through, including how much energy is needed per unit mass, is the same.
i mean, that if we have V volume of gas to be compressed from p1 to p2, is it better to compress V/2 volumes 2 times or V/4 volumes 4 times. i mean, of course, the energy needed per unit mass will be same for a process, but how will efficiency of the compressor be affected?
like, for a reciprocating compressor, will it be better to compress smaller volumes, so there is lesser temperature rise and quick dissipation of heat or compress large volumes, as the energy lost in friction is less.

If the energy needed per unit mass is the same for the two processes, then the efficiency is the same. Regarding recips, that's a good question. I don't know... There are some generalizations you can make such as:
1. Piston ring friction per unit mass compressed will decrease as volume displaced increases.
2. Heat transfer out of the gas (during the discharge stroke) per unit mass compressed will decrease as volume displaced increases.
3. Heat transfer into the gas (during the suction stroke) per unit mass compressed will increase as volume displaced increases.
4. Piston ring leakage per unit mass compressed will decrease as volume displaced increases.

There are other factors such as reciprocating speed which generally decreases as volume per displaced increases, so in the end, I suspect there won't be a big difference in isentropic efficiency when comparing small machines to larger ones.

no, i guess not. i was just wondering how they decide the initial volume of gas to be compressed in an ic engine. is it for max. efficiency, or that much fuel burned pushes the piston for the required stroke?

chhitiz said:
no, i guess not. i was just wondering how they decide the initial volume of gas to be compressed in an ic engine. is it for max. efficiency, or that much fuel burned pushes the piston for the required stroke?

The basic consideration is the desired power characteristic. Given an approximate air fuel ratio, it's pretty easy to calculate the mass of air required for a certain amount of torque.

brewnog said:
The basic consideration is the desired power characteristic. Given an approximate air fuel ratio, it's pretty easy to calculate the mass of air required for a certain amount of torque.

could you tell me the exact calculations that show how much torque is generated for a given mass of air-fuel mixture of particular composition?

An engine is used to lift a 2700 kg truck to a height of 3.0 m at constant speed. In the lifting process, the engine received 3.3x105 J of heat from the fuel burned in its interior. What is the efficiency of the engine?

2700x3x9.8/3.3x105=229=impossible
why are you asking this?
and brewnog, dood, where are you? still haven't told how we can know how much torque a given volume of fuel-air mixture of given composition can generate.

1. What is the efficiency of a compressor?

The efficiency of a compressor is a measure of how well it converts input power into usable output power. It is typically expressed as a percentage and can range from 50% to 90% depending on the type and design of the compressor.

2. How is the efficiency of a compressor calculated?

The efficiency of a compressor is calculated by dividing the actual power output by the theoretical power output. The theoretical power output is the ideal amount of power that the compressor should produce based on its design. The actual power output is the measured power output in real-world conditions.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of a compressor?

The efficiency of a compressor can be affected by several factors including the type and design of the compressor, the operating conditions (such as temperature and pressure), the quality of maintenance and lubrication, and the age and condition of the compressor.

4. How can the efficiency of a compressor be improved?

The efficiency of a compressor can be improved by regular maintenance, proper lubrication, and ensuring the compressor is operating at optimal conditions. Upgrading to a more efficient compressor model or implementing energy-saving technologies can also improve efficiency.

5. Why is the efficiency of a compressor important?

The efficiency of a compressor is important because it directly impacts the operating costs and energy consumption of the system it is a part of. A more efficient compressor can save money on energy bills and reduce the environmental impact of the system. It also affects the performance and reliability of the compressor, which can impact the overall productivity and efficiency of the equipment it is powering.