1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Efficiency of Diesel cycle

1. Apr 15, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Derive a formula for the efficiency of the Diesel cycle, in terms of the compression ratio V1/V2

2. Relevant equations

e=[itex]\frac{W}{Q_{h}}[/itex]
    w= ∫pdV

3. The attempt at a solution

Now I know I should have used e=1-[itex]\frac{Q_{c}}{Q_{h}}[/itex] to get it but he said it is possible using e=[itex]\frac{W}{Q_{h}}[/itex]

I know that W_{4-1} is equal to zero and W_{2-3} is equal to P_{2}(V_{3}-V_{2})

what I don't know is how he got

W_{1-2} = [itex]\frac{e}{1-δ}[/itex]*cv[itex]^{-δ+1}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{1-δ}[/itex]*(P_{2}V_{2}-P_{1}V_{1})

and

W_{3-1} = [itex]\frac{e}{1-δ}[/itex]*cv[itex]^{-δ+1}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{1-δ}[/itex]*(P_{4}V_{4}-P_{3}V_{3})

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2013 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

What are points 1,2,3, and 4? What is ##\delta##?

4. Apr 15, 2013 #3
    1,2,3 and 4 are the strokes of the cycle. Well the different points on the picture. and δ is supposed to be gamma, which is the adiabatic exponent.

I thought I could use

W=∫pdV = C[itex]_{v}[/itex](T[itex]_{1}[/itex]-T[itex]_{2}[/itex]
    for the compression stroke...but I guess that is incorrect

5. Apr 15, 2013 #4

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

You have to be more specific. The numbering of points on a cycle is arbitrary. For each part of the cycle, state something like: 1→2 isothermal expansion at ##T_2##.

6. Apr 15, 2013 #5
    From 1→2 is compression
    From 2→3 is fuel injection/combustion
    From 3→4 is the power stroke
    From 4→1 is exhaust

7. Apr 15, 2013 #6

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The ideal diesel cycle consists of a constant pressure expansion (2-3) followed by an adiabatic expansion (3-4) followed by constant volume cooling (4-1) followed by adiabatic compression (1-2).

So heat goes in only from 2-3 and heat goes out only from 4-1. Since W = Qh-Qc and η = W/Qh = 1-Qc/Qh you just have to deal with the two parts in which heat flows (ie. 4-1 and 2-3).

Can you work out Qh and Qc? (hint: it involves temperature change and heat capacity).

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted