Efficiency of Ejector as pump

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the efficiency of an ejector used as a pump. The formula used was questioned and a suggestion was made to read a paper for more accurate results. The efficiency obtained was 0.5%.
ADunn
Efficiency of Ejector "as pump"

I was asked to find the efficiency of a steam ejector experiment "as a pump". So I tried the formula :

[(m(P/density + V^2/2))discharge - (m(P/density + V^2/2))suction]/
(m(P/density + V^2/2))steam inlet.

I am getting an efficiency of 0.5%.

Is this a reasonable result or am I approaching this wrong?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hi, I am interested in these pumps but I have no idea what kind of pressure/flow ratios they can get. Can you please tell me for what measured values you got for 0.5% efficiency?

Thanks,
cezar

I don't think your formula is suitable,you can read the paper 《An investigation of ejector design by analysis and experiment》,which can be down load from http://ejector.getbbs.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

What is an ejector pump and how does it work?

An ejector pump is a type of pump that uses the Venturi effect to create suction and move fluid from one location to another. It works by using a high-speed fluid jet to create a low-pressure area, which then draws in the fluid to be pumped and mixes it with the high-speed jet. This mixture is then discharged at a higher pressure, effectively pumping the fluid to a desired location.

What are the benefits of using an ejector pump?

There are several benefits to using an ejector pump. Firstly, it is a simple and cost-effective way to move fluids, as it does not require any moving parts or electricity. It is also highly reliable and does not require regular maintenance. Additionally, ejector pumps can handle a wide range of fluid viscosities and are suitable for use in hazardous environments.

What factors affect the efficiency of an ejector pump?

The efficiency of an ejector pump can be affected by several factors. These include the fluid properties (such as viscosity and density), the design of the ejector (such as the nozzle size and shape), the operating conditions (such as the fluid flow rate and pressure), and the type of motive fluid used (such as air or steam).

How can the efficiency of an ejector pump be improved?

There are a few ways to improve the efficiency of an ejector pump. One way is to optimize the design of the ejector, such as by adjusting the nozzle size and shape. Another way is to use a higher pressure motive fluid, as this can increase the suction and discharge pressures of the pump. Additionally, maintaining proper operating conditions, such as maintaining a consistent flow rate, can also improve efficiency.

Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using an ejector pump?

While ejector pumps have many benefits, they also have some limitations and drawbacks. One limitation is that they are not suitable for high-pressure applications, as the maximum discharge pressure is limited by the motive fluid pressure. Additionally, they may not be suitable for pumping fluids with large solid particles, as these can cause clogging in the ejector. Finally, the efficiency of an ejector pump may decrease at lower flow rates.