Efficiency of Mag Lev Transportation: Discuss Benefits/Drawbacks

• Thread starter Dissident Dan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Efficiency
In summary: The lack of friction would definitely be a plus. However, you have to provide the energy to lift the object(s) off the ground. We must distinguish between the different types of maglev. There is the http://www.skytran.net/press/sciam01.htm, which uses the motion of the train along the track to induce magnetic current in the track, using a Halbach array. This tech is cheaper to build, because generators are not needed to power the track. But it offers less savings, because the magnets cannot be used for propulsion. The main savings here is just lower friction. Then, there are the more traditional
Dissident Dan
This is a thread to discuss the efficiency of magnetic levetation a la monorails. I really don't know how it would compare to the traditional surface contact-based transportation. If you have some knowledge on this or know where to find it, please speak up.

The lack of friction would definitely be a plus. However, you have to provide the energy to lift the object(s) off the ground.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Greetings !

I don't really know about the energy comparison,
I'm pretty sure the efficiency is higher because
you don't use motors but the energy is abviously
probably greater. The primary problem with such
trains is not the energy but rather the costs of
the monorail which is extremely high (several million
dollars per mile for the train in Japan, for example).

Live long and prosper.

Originally posted by Dissident Dan
This is a thread to discuss the efficiency of magnetic levetation a la monorails. I really don't know how it would compare to the traditional surface contact-based transportation. If you have some knowledge on this or know where to find it, please speak up.

The lack of friction would definitely be a plus. However, you have to provide the energy to lift the object(s) off the ground.

We must distinguish between the different types of maglev. There is the http://www.skytran.net/press/sciam01.htm, which uses the motion of the train along the track to induce magnetic current in the track, using a Halbach array. This tech is cheaper to build, because generators are not needed to power the track. But it offers less savings, because the magnets cannot be used for propulsion. The main savings here is just lower friction.

Then, there are the more traditional

electromagnet maglevs,which are much more expensive and complicated to build, but offer additional benefits. In this scheme, the propulsion of the train is powered by a stationary source external to the train. This means that the power source is not part of the weight that needs to be transported.

Last edited by a moderator:
doesn't a lot of power have to be used to run the electromagnets that lift the entire weight of the train?
It seems that a maglev train would be highly inefficient, but very quiet, fast and smooth.
Can somebody verify this?

because in a train with wheels, the lift is provided by the contact of the train with the ground. so let's say the train weights 7x10^6kilograms.
you have to power enough electromagnets on the train, and on the ground to lift 7x10^6kg, as well as enough forward force to accelerate the train as well as fight off the forces of wind drag... unless I'm missing something.. it sounds very inefficient

Last edited:
tot said:
doesn't a lot of power have to be used to run the electromagnets that lift the entire weight of the train?
Hence the quest for suitable superconductors goes on ...

Not my area, but from what I have read an object lifted by a virtual magnet superconductor, does not use "any" energy for the lift. The only energy is to keep the superconductor COLD! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_levitation
So when the force of gravity and the magnet/virtual magnet repulsion equal, the object floats.

I saw the wire on the rail for high speed train.(300km/h) i ever saw the cable with very big diameter for mag-left train in shanghai(about 400-450km/h). so i think the mag lev need much more electricity.

1. What is Mag Lev transportation and how does it work?

Mag Lev transportation stands for magnetic levitation transportation. It uses a system of magnets to levitate and propel trains without the use of traditional wheels. The train is suspended above the track and propelled forward by the repelling force between the magnets. This reduces friction and allows for faster speeds.

2. What are the benefits of Mag Lev transportation?

Mag Lev transportation has several benefits, including increased speed and efficiency. Since there is no contact between the train and the track, there is less friction and drag, allowing for faster speeds. It also has the potential to reduce travel time and congestion, as well as being more environmentally friendly than traditional transportation methods.

3. What are some drawbacks of Mag Lev transportation?

One major drawback of Mag Lev transportation is the high cost of implementation. The technology is still relatively new and requires a significant investment in infrastructure and maintenance. Additionally, there is limited availability of Mag Lev transportation systems, making it difficult to implement on a large scale.

4. How does the efficiency of Mag Lev transportation compare to other modes of transportation?

Mag Lev transportation is considered to be more efficient than traditional modes of transportation, such as cars and planes. It has the potential to reach higher speeds and reduce travel time, which can save both time and energy. However, the efficiency also depends on factors such as route distances, passenger demand, and the availability of other transportation options.

5. What are the potential future developments for Mag Lev transportation?

There are ongoing efforts to improve and expand Mag Lev transportation systems. Some proposed developments include longer and faster trains, as well as the use of renewable energy sources to power the trains. There is also research being done to make the technology more affordable and accessible for wider implementation in the future.