Solve Efficiency Problem: Heat Water in 1000 W Electric Kettle

• Thread starter physicsnerd7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Efficiency
In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of the amount of time it would take for a 1000 W electric kettle to heat up 1.0 L of water to boiling point, starting from 10 °C, with a 63% transfer of heat energy from the kettle to the water. The expert summarizer determined that the correct approach was to find 63% of the 1000 W and use this power in the formula P = W/Δt to find the time. The mass and composition of the kettle were deemed irrelevant in this calculation.
physicsnerd7

Homework Statement

Determine the amount of time it will take a 1000 W electric kettle to heat up 1.0 L of water to boiling point if the water starts at 10 °C and the kettle is made from 400 g of iron. The transfer of heat energy from the kettle to the water is 63%.

Homework Equations

P = W/Δt
Q = mcΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so what i was thinking was find 63% of the 1000 W electric kettle and then that is the power used to bring the water to a boil so I did -

Pfor water = 1000W x 0.63
= 630 W

then I would use this power in the formula P = W/Δt to find time so I did -

Δt = (mwater x cwater x (Tf of water - Ti of water) ) / 630 W

= (1kg x 4.2E3 J/kgC x (100 C - 10 C )) / 630 W
= 600s ||or|| 10 min

apparently this answer is wrong because I am suppose to incorporate the mass of the iron kettle but I don't know how. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the correct equation for the energy needed to heat the water mwater x cwater x (Tf of water - Ti of water). Write similar equation for the energy needed to heat the iron. What laws do you know about energy?

PS: I believe they are saying that the 63% figure applies between the kettle and the water not the element and the water.

Last edited:
Δt = (mwater x cwater x (Tf of water - Ti of water) + miron x ciron x(Tf iron - Ti iron)) / 630 W

Is ^ this correct then. I know that energy can't be created or destroyed and that it is only transferred from one form to another.

The more I think about this problem the more I think it's badly specified and your first answer based on 63% of 1000W could be justified.

CWatters said:
The more I think about this problem the more I think it's badly specified and your first answer based on 63% of 1000W could be justified.
I agree. Based on the masses and specific heats, you'd think 96% of the heat would go into the water (did I get that right?). If only 63% went that way then the rest has been radiated/convected away to the room. This leaves the OP calculation as the only route to the answer. The mass and composition of the kettle are irrelevant.

Okay so then the 600 s answer is right then because the only thing affecting the heating up of the water is the amount of power the kettle has and not what the kettle is made from. And since the kettle is only 63% efficient then only 630W is going towards heating the water.

1. How long does it take to heat water in a 1000 W electric kettle?

The time it takes to heat water in a 1000 W electric kettle will depend on the starting temperature of the water and the amount of water being heated. Generally, it takes about 3-4 minutes for a full kettle to reach boiling point.

2. Is it more efficient to use a 1000 W electric kettle or heat water on the stovetop?

Using a 1000 W electric kettle is more efficient than heating water on the stovetop. Electric kettles are designed to heat water quickly and use less energy compared to a stovetop, which can take longer to heat up and use more energy.

3. Can I save energy by only heating the amount of water I need?

Yes, you can save energy by only heating the amount of water you need in a 1000 W electric kettle. It is recommended to only fill the kettle with the amount of water you plan to use, as heating excess water will waste energy.

4. How does the wattage of an electric kettle affect its efficiency?

The wattage of an electric kettle directly affects its efficiency. A higher wattage kettle will heat water faster, but it will also use more energy. A 1000 W electric kettle is a good balance between speed and energy efficiency for heating water.

5. Is it safe to leave a 1000 W electric kettle on for extended periods of time?

It is not recommended to leave a 1000 W electric kettle on for extended periods of time. Once the water has reached boiling point, the kettle should be turned off and unplugged to prevent any potential hazards. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety guidelines when using any electrical appliance.