Efficiency/stiffness of various caliper designs.

1. I am doing a bit of a research project, mathematically modelling a production road car braking system. So far my model seems to work very well, but am I finding discrepancies in different caliper designs, where the fundamental stats (moment arm/piston area) are the same yet users reviews state a noticeable change in braking performance.

I can only attribute this phenomenom to the difference in caliper stiffness and overall efficiency incorporating friction losses. Previously I had assumed the differences to be marginal at best and simply tagged the caliper clamp force equation with the overall system efficiency of a hypothetical 90%, however this is clearly not providing me with the level of accuracy I am seeking.

I need to revise the model with a seperate effeciency input for the caliper, however I have no idea on any values to use for varying caliper designs.

My initial thoughts:
    Single piston sliding - 80%
    Dual piston sliding - 82%
    Factory fit 4 piston fixed - 85%
    Lightwight aftermarket 4 piston fixed - 87%
    Twin block 4 pot fixed - 90%
    Mono block 4 pot fixed - 89%

If anyone here would be able to shed any light on whether these splits are in the right ballpark, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted