Efficient way to convert kinetic energy to heat

In summary, the conversation discusses various methods for converting kinetic energy to heat. The first method mentioned is using friction, but it can cause wearing for long-term use. The second method is using a dynamo to convert to electric energy and then using an electric coil to convert to heat, but this may have low efficiency and high cost. The conversation then explores other potential methods, such as using a hydraulic dynamometer, Joule's heat apparatus, or a hydrostatic pump. The idea of using air compression and eddy current heating is also mentioned. The conversation concludes by mentioning a district heating system that uses water to directly generate heat.
kevin_tee
I am trying to find the most efficient way to convert kinetic energy to heat. The first thing I know is friction, however friction cause wearing for long term use. The second is convert to electric energy(dynamo) and then convert to heat using electric coil, however I think that has low efficiency and cost way more. Any ideas?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Essentially every method of converting kinetic energy to heat is 100% efficient because heat is the product of all forms of inefficiency!

Likes rbelli1, Kajan thana, billy_joule and 5 others
Yes, I understand that every form of energy will be convert to heat eventually, I am asking are there commercial machine that convert kinetic energy to heat?

There are machines which are designed to provide a predictable and measurable load on equipment under test .

These machines are generally called dynamometers .

Many varieties but one common design for higher powers uses paddles rotating in water . The drag of the paddles in the water provides the load and all of the incoming energy is converted into heat .

There are types with simple radial paddles and more complex ones with arrangements of rotors and stators designed using rotodynamic pump principles .

Look up : Hydraulic Dynamometer .

Likes Kajan thana
Nidum said:
There are machines which are designed to provide a predictable and measurable load on equipment under test .

These machines are generally called dynamometers .

Many varieties but one common design for higher powers uses paddles rotating in water . The drag of the paddles in the water provides the load and all of the incoming energy is converted into heat .

There are types with simple radial paddles and more complex ones with arrangements of rotors and stators designed using rotodynamic pump principles .

Look up : Hydraulic Dynamometer .
Wow, thanks I was looking at Joule's heat apparatus, but I didn't know this one.

kevin_tee said:
Yes, I understand that every form of energy will be convert to heat eventually, I am asking are there commercial machine that convert kinetic energy to heat?
Perhaps @Nidum gave you all you needed, but if not, I'm still finding this too broad/vague: do you have a specific requirement, a specific source and amount of kinetic energy and specific need to convert it to heat? Because the general answer is still that essentially all commercial machines do that.

For example, though, if you have something spinning that you want to stop. But it sounds like you WANT the heat, which is a bit unusual.

In what form will the KE be delivered? Is it a rotating flywheel or a mass moving in a straight line? Is the mass solid or liquid?
It would also help if you knew how much KE needed to be converted over what period of time. That will define the power and cost of the energy converter.

kevin_tee said:
low efficiency

Depending on the generator size you can get high 90% efficiency. Also if your goal is heat then the energy lost to inefficiency heats the generator. Just put the generator at the location you wish to heat. Like russ said. You get an efficiency indistinguishable from 100%.

BoB

johnbbahm said:
I cannot say much about the over unity

I can. It didn't happen.

If your process can extract heat from the environment then you get some "bonus energy" out that you personally did not supply. A heat pump is only ""over unity"" in the same way as a car is ""over unity"". I only pressed lightly on the pedal and went 0-60 in 5 seconds!

BoB

kevin_tee said:
The second is convert to electric energy(dynamo) and then convert to heat using electric coil,
If your K.E. can take the form of rotational motion then you could move horse-shoe magnets furiously over a steel or brass plate to cause eddy current heating/losses within the steel. Polished surfaces and a teflon coating should see mechanical wear minimised to give the setup longevity.

Might find some eddy current videos on youtube.

There is or was somewhere a district heating system which generated heat directly from a natural source of falling water .

The energy in a large flow of water was used to heat a smaller flow of water for the heating system .

I can't find any reference now . Best guess is that it used a turbine and a water churning device like the dynamometer mentioned in #4 .

A pony brake is a good start!

Likes NascentOxygen

1. What is the most efficient way to convert kinetic energy to heat?

The most efficient way to convert kinetic energy to heat is through friction. When an object moves against another surface, the friction between the two surfaces creates heat energy.

2. Can kinetic energy be directly converted to heat without using friction?

No, kinetic energy cannot be directly converted to heat without using friction. Friction is necessary to generate heat energy from kinetic energy.

3. How can I increase the efficiency of converting kinetic energy to heat?

One way to increase efficiency is by reducing the amount of energy lost to other forms, such as sound or movement. This can be achieved by using materials that have low coefficient of friction, or by designing systems that minimize unnecessary movement.

4. Are there any alternative methods for converting kinetic energy to heat?

Yes, there are alternative methods such as using electromagnetic induction or thermoelectric generators. However, these methods may not be as efficient as using friction.

5. Is it possible to convert heat energy back to kinetic energy?

Yes, it is possible to convert heat energy back to kinetic energy through various processes such as steam turbines or Stirling engines. However, there will always be some energy lost in the conversion process.