1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Efficieny of a diesel engine

1. Jan 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The diagram below shows the thermodynamic cycle of a diesel engine. The compression ratio is the ratio of maximum to minimum volume; [itex]r=\frac{V_{1}}{V_{2}}[/itex]. In addition, the so-called cutoff ratio is defined by [itex]r_{c} = \frac{V_{3}}{V_{2}}[/itex]. Find an expression for the engine's efficiency, in terms of [itex]r[/itex], [itex]r_{c}[/itex] and the specific heat ratio [itex]\gamma[/itex].
    2. Relevant equations
    [tex]PV=nRT[/tex]
    PV^gamma = constant
    [tex]W_{adiabatic} = \frac{P_{1}V_{1} - P_{2}V_{2}}{\gamma-1}[/tex]
    [tex]\epsilon = \frac{W_{net}}{Q_h}[/tex]
    [tex]P_{2} = P_{3}[/tex]
    3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]W_{net} = W_{12} + W_{23} + W_{34} + W_{41}[/tex]
    And I think I must only use negative values for Q_h because the efficiency is the ratio of work done to heat absorbed. That is a little bit against what I would think because it would make more sense to me if Q_h was just the sum of Q_12, Q_23, Q_34, Q_41.
    First of all
    [tex] W_{net} = \frac{P_{1}V_{1}-P_{1}r^\gamma V_{2}}{\gamma-1}+P_{1}r^\gamma(V_{3}-V_{2}) + \frac{P_{1}r^\gamma V_{3} - P_{1}r_{c}^\gamma V_{1}}{\gamma-1}[/tex]
    The only negative Q_h I think is Q_41 which is
    [tex]Q_{h} = Q_{41} = n C_{v} (T_{1}-T_{4}) = \frac{P_{1}V_{1}C_{v}}{R}(1-r_{c}^\gamma)[/tex]
    And when I calculate [itex]\epsilon[/itex], low and behold out pops the wrong answer (and a huge mess of V1's V2's and so on) which I cant seem to get rid of. So it seems I have plucked out the wrong values to calculate Q_h or W_net but I'm not sure which combination to pull out.

The book manages to squeeze out
    [tex]\epsilon = 1-r^{1-\gamma}(\frac{r_{c}^\gamma-1}{\gamma(r_{c}-1)})[/tex]

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted