Efflux problem is my work valid?

• Thread starter cepheid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary: The velocity of the fluid draining from a hole in a tank is v ~= (2gh)1/2, where h is the depth of water above the hole.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have completed this problem, and would like to know if my work is correct:

According to Torricelli's theorem, the velocity of a fluid draining from a hole in a tank is v ~= (2gh)1/2, where h is the depth of water above the hole. Let the hole have an area A0, and the cylindrical tank have cross-sectional area Ab >> A0. Derive a formula for the time to drain the tank completely from an initial depth h0.

My work:

The volume flow rate out of the hole is equal to the rate of change of the volume in the tank:

[tex] A_0 v = \frac{dV}{dt} = A_b \frac{dh}{dt} [/tex]

[tex] v = \sqrt{2gh} = \frac{A_b}{A_0} \frac{dh}{dt} [/tex]

Assuming that we start from t0 = 0, and that the tank is drained after a time T, we can separate variables and integrate:

[tex] \int_0^T {dt} = T = \frac{A_b}{A_0} \int_{h_0}^0 {\frac{dh}{\sqrt{2gh}}} [/tex]

One thing that bothered me was that I never made use of the information that Ab >> A0. I thought at first maybe I was supposed to make some approximation somewhere based on that. But then I dug out my first year physics text and saw that Torricelli's theorem was derived from Bernoulli's eqn, and that this information regarding the two areas was used in the derivation. So maybe that's the only reason they gave it to us. Still, is everything else ok?

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course, you did use the fact that A[sub[0[/sub]<<Ab when you assumed that you could stop the integral at the top of the hole. You are treating that hole the water is coming out of as a point.

Yeah, makes sense to me if the hole is in the side of the container. But Torricelli's thm is valid for the hole in the bottom of the container, which is what it shows in the diagram. How should it be interpreted then?

1. What is an efflux problem?

An efflux problem refers to the issue of substances or materials being released or flowing out of a system or container at a higher rate than they are being added or replenished. This can occur in various scientific fields, such as biology, chemistry, and physics.

2. How do I know if my work is affected by an efflux problem?

If you are working with a system or conducting experiments that involve the movement or flow of materials, it is important to consider the possibility of an efflux problem. Signs of this issue may include unexpected changes in the concentration or levels of substances, or inconsistent results.

3. Can an efflux problem affect the validity of my research?

Yes, an efflux problem can greatly impact the validity of your work. If substances are being lost or escaping from your system, it can alter the accuracy and reliability of your data and conclusions. It is important to address and mitigate any potential efflux problems in your research.

4. How can I prevent or solve an efflux problem in my work?

There are various strategies that can be employed to prevent or solve an efflux problem. One approach is to carefully design and control your experimental setup to minimize any potential leaks or losses. Additionally, using appropriate materials and techniques can help reduce the effects of efflux.

5. Are there any specific techniques or methods that can help detect an efflux problem?

Yes, there are several techniques that can be used to detect an efflux problem. These include monitoring and measuring the levels or concentrations of substances, conducting control experiments, and using mathematical models to analyze and identify any discrepancies or inconsistencies in your data. It is important to regularly check for and address any potential efflux issues in your work to ensure its validity.