Can You Stand an Egg Perfectly on Its Long End with Just Fevicol?

• Thread starter T@P
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Egg
In summary: I missed one or two of the lesser publicized ones).In summary, balancing an egg on its long end on a smooth surface does not require any specific time or season, and can be achieved by either hard-boiling the egg or slightly squishing one end. There are also ways to cheat, such as using salt crystals as props or smashing one end of the egg to make it stand. The myth that it can only be done during the Equinox has been debunked by scientific studies, and it is ultimately a subjective experience.
T@P
how do you stand an egg perfectly on its long end on a totally smooth surface? you can't use anything but the egg you use to stand on end. JUST THE EGG.

and its supposed to stand on end. and its easy and repeatable. its not a "try for 6 years" kind of thing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Answer: Don't you hard boil it while it is standing on its end, or something like that? I believe the yolk is denser, and will act as ballast.

If you are talking about a raw egg... I am pritty sure it is done on a solstest, winter or summer. Its suposidly the only time it can be done. I have on teh other hand been told people have succeded in doing it at other times.

Of course if you are talking about a hard boiled egg all you need do is squish the end a bit and it will stand just fine! I have personally tested that theory.
:biggrin:

xjuggleboy, you got it!

its more of a joke than a puzzle, sorry to those that got all excited. and yes, hard-boiled

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! :frown:

even if it's raw egg, just crash the end and it will stnd up straight ^^

WOO! My first correct answer in teh Brainteasers Forum! ::biggrin::

btw this is a fun trick to make people go away from you: just pull out an egg and suddenly everyone gets bored of you and leaves thinking you are the nerdiest person alive.

;)

I should try it...

xJuggleboy said:
If you are talking about a raw egg... I am pritty sure it is done on a solstest, winter or summer. Its suposidly the only time it can be done. I have on teh other hand been told people have succeded in doing it at other times.
This is a total myth, BTW.

DaveC426913 said:

I didnt say it was true... I just said I have heard of people doing it.

DaveC426913 said:
xJuggleboy said:
No it's not, I've stood eggs up on the sidewalk during sostest, it's not a myth at all, maybe you've just tried it at the wrong time or something.

need a title ?

wasteofo2 said:
No it's not, I've stood eggs up on the sidewalk during sostest, it's not a myth at all, maybe you've just tried it at the wrong time or something.

if it's not a myth or sumtin, can u explain why it is possible durint sostest while the other time not (scientifically, not kind of, god of Earth is a bit nice that day)

well see the Earth god is a cool guy. :)

actually i think the reason is that people try doing it on solstet or something and if a lot of ppl try it that day, some succeed. or something.

ooo, kind of strange answer actually but still make sense. a lot of people doing it so that the number of success increase or other sugesti ...

A good way to cheat is to put a few grains of salt on a smooth surface and balance the egg on those. It's much easier with the salt crystals acting as 'props'. Once the egg is balanced, you can blow the remaining salt away and no one will notice the two or three remaining grains when you pick the egg up.

Actually there is a story involving Filippo Brunelleschi, an italian architect during the renaissance which pertains to this. Regarding the building of the cupola of the duomo in florence, the other architects were jealous that he would not share his plans or collaborate with them, they believed that he could not build it. They pestered him saying he could not build it so he gave them a challenge make a boiled egg stand perfectly straight on its long end. They tried and fiddled with the egg but they could not do it. Then Brunelleschi takes the egg and smacks it on the table so the bottom gets broken and it can stay upright. The other architects protest saying they could have done that. His response is, "but you didn't that is why I'm building the duomo". That is the gist of how i heard the story, it's not exactly like that, but I believe that it's the right architect. I saw it in a documentary on the renaissance, although, that doesn't make it true. This discussion reminded me of that, thought i'd share.

i have an answer in any season any weather
smash the egg on the ground so taht the one end is now flat and it will stand up

Here is the answer to if the egg can balance on the equinox or not. This page is a good one if you have questions whether all those e-mails you get are true or not too.

http://www.snopes.com/science/equinox.htm

??

?\\\\\

Bad Astronomy (an excellent page in general) also has some info on this. Really, as mentioned on the page, it's usually enough for most people to try to balance eggs during the Equinox as well as any other time - most will instantly recognize that it's no harder or easier during any particular time. There could be a degree of "feeling" it as easier during the Equinox if sufficiently convinced, after all it's reather subjective and thus prone to interpretation one way or another (if one wishes it to be equally easy it may seem so and vice versa). Of course, gravity measurements much more precise then balancing an egg has shown that there *should* be no difference, but if eggs are (falsely IMO) assumed to have special properties it would really require a blind test with a statistically significant population who were unaware of either the legend or the current date to tell for double platinum sure. None have been done by either side afaik (though plenty of people do the much simpler comparison by "non-blind" balancing), but as insane as the original myth seems (yes, I've tried it both during the spring Equinox and during other times just to be generous and thus don't even have the tiny tiny doubts I may have had) I'd assume the people who do believe the myth would carry the burden of proof on this.

just put the fevicol or fevistick on the smooth surface then place the egg on its long end, it will stick to that fevicol. you can also see as it stands on a smooth surface.
this might be the best way.

if it is not then tell us.

1. What is egg dancing?

Egg dancing is a traditional folk dance where participants dance while balancing eggs on spoons held in their mouths.

2. Where did egg dancing originate?

Egg dancing is believed to originate from Germany, where it was a popular Easter tradition. However, variations of the dance can also be found in other cultures.

3. What is the purpose of egg dancing?

The purpose of egg dancing varies depending on the culture. In some places, it is seen as a way to celebrate spring and fertility, while in others it is believed to bring good luck for the upcoming year.

4. How do you dance with an egg?

To dance with an egg, a spoon is held in the mouth and the egg is placed on top of the spoon. The dancer then moves their body and feet in rhythm while trying to keep the egg from falling off the spoon.

5. Are there any variations of egg dancing?

Yes, there are many variations of egg dancing depending on the culture and region. Some involve dancing with multiple eggs, while others incorporate specific movements or props. Some variations also include competitions or challenges, such as dancing with blindfolds or in teams.