Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Egg dancing (or something)

1. Apr 25, 2005 #1

T@P

how do you stand an egg perfectly on its long end on a totally smooth surface? you cant use anything but the egg you use to stand on end. JUST THE EGG.

and its supposed to stand on end. and its easy and repeatable. its not a "try for 6 years" kind of thing.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2005 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Answer: Don't you hard boil it while it is standing on its end, or something like that? I believe the yolk is denser, and will act as ballast.

4. Apr 25, 2005 #3
    If you are talking about a raw egg... Im pritty sure it is done on a solstest, winter or summer. Its suposidly the only time it can be done. I have on teh other hand been told people have succeded in doing it at other times.

Of course if you are talking about a hard boiled egg all you need do is squish the end a bit and it will stand just fine! I have personally tested that theory.
    :biggrin:

5. Apr 25, 2005 #4

T@P

xjuggleboy, you got it!

its more of a joke than a puzzle, sorry to those that got all excited. and yes, hard-boiled

6. Apr 25, 2005 #5

JamesU

Gold Member

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! :frown:

7. Apr 26, 2005 #6
    even if it's raw egg, just crash the end and it will stnd up straight ^^

8. Apr 26, 2005 #7
    WOO!! My first correct answer in teh Brainteasers Forum! ::biggrin::

9. Apr 26, 2005 #8

T@P

btw this is a fun trick to make people go away from you: just pull out an egg and suddenly everyone gets bored of you and leaves thinking you are the nerdiest person alive.

;)

10. Apr 26, 2005 #9

JamesU

Gold Member

I should try it...

11. Apr 27, 2005 #10

DaveC426913

Gold Member

12. Apr 27, 2005 #11
    I didnt say it was true... I just said I have heard of people doing it.

13. Apr 27, 2005 #12
    No it's not, I've stood eggs up on the sidewalk during sostest, it's not a myth at all, maybe you've just tried it at the wrong time or something.

14. Apr 29, 2005 #13
    need a title ???

if it's not a myth or sumtin, can u explain why it is possible durint sostest while the other time not (scientifically, not kind of, god of earth is a bit nice that day)

15. May 2, 2005 #14

T@P

well see the earth god is a cool guy. :)

actually i think the reason is that people try doing it on solstet or something and if alot of ppl try it that day, some succeed. or something.

16. May 2, 2005 #15
    ooo, kind of strange answer actually but still make sense. alot of people doing it so that the number of success increase or other sugesti ...

17. May 2, 2005 #16
    A good way to cheat is to put a few grains of salt on a smooth surface and balance the egg on those. It's much easier with the salt crystals acting as 'props'. Once the egg is balanced, you can blow the remaining salt away and no one will notice the two or three remaining grains when you pick the egg up.

18. May 2, 2005 #17
    Actually there is a story involving Filippo Brunelleschi, an italian architect during the renaissance which pertains to this. Regarding the building of the cupola of the duomo in florence, the other architects were jealous that he would not share his plans or collaborate with them, they believed that he could not build it. They pestered him saying he could not build it so he gave them a challenge make a boiled egg stand perfectly straight on its long end. They tried and fiddled with the egg but they could not do it. Then Brunelleschi takes the egg and smacks it on the table so the bottom gets broken and it can stay upright. The other architects protest saying they could have done that. His response is, "but you didn't that is why i'm building the duomo". That is the gist of how i heard the story, it's not exactly like that, but I believe that it's the right architect. I saw it in a documentary on the renaissance, although, that doesn't make it true. This discussion reminded me of that, thought i'd share.

19. May 6, 2005 #18
    i have an answer in any season any weather
    smash the egg on the ground so taht the one end is now flat and it will stand up

20. May 7, 2005 #19
    Here is the answer to if the egg can balance on the equinox or not. This page is a good one if you have questions whether all those e-mails you get are true or not too.

http://www.snopes.com/science/equinox.htm

21. Aug 29, 2005 #20
    ??

?????\\\\\

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?