1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Egg Drop Contest

Tags:
  1. Jan 29, 2012 #1
    Hi, we are doing an egg drop contest in my Physics class and I was hoping to get some ideas for the best capsule possible. Here are the rules:
    - No pre constructed containers (cans, boxes, bottles, glass, uncut plastic bags, egg containers etc)
    -capsule dimensions must not exceed 6 inches in any direction
    - parachute is used, must initially collapse and extend when it is attached to carabiner
    - drop is about 12.5 feet
    - capsule can hang at most 12 in from bottom of carabiner to top of capsule
    - capsules must have a hatch so the egg can be put in and taken out in class
    - if multiple groups have eggs that don't crack then the team with the lightest capsule wins
    - eggs must be put in the capsule in one minute and taken out 10 seconds after it hits the ground
    I was thinking of making a network of straws to protect the egg, but getting it in and out withing the time limit seems like it would be difficult.
    Any advice would be helpful, thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2012 #2
    Popcorn is very light and has a nice cushioning effect.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook