Construct an Egg Drop Device with 10 Straws and Cardboard

In summary, the conversation revolves around creating an Egg Dropping Device for a Physics class using specific materials and ensuring that the egg survives a fall from 10-15 feet. The participants share their previous experiences and suggest using crumple zones or soft surfaces to absorb the impact. They also recommend checking out online resources for more ideas.
golden_cactus7
Egg Drop Device!

I have to create an Egg Dropping Device for my Physics class using these materials:

10 straws

8 x 8 cardboard piece

cellotapes (to attach the joints and nothing else!)

The egg must survive a fall of about... 10 ~ 15 feet I assume...

Please feel free to post your kind advices! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
The idea expressed in this experiment is all about easing the impact. My last year's physics class tried to break an egg JUST by throwing it. Everyone got a turn to throw the ball and it NEVER cracked. How you ask? Well, we were throwing the egg at a bed cover. Two people were holding it and no matter how hard you threw the egg, it would not crack, because the sheets absorbed the impact. I hope this helps you out. For your project, I would suggent crumple zones to absorb the impact. Also, watch this...the're so cute!

http://students.ed.uiuc.edu/freymuth/490i/egghints.htm

http://students.ed.uiuc.edu/freymuth/490i/eggdropvideo.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to create an Egg Dropping Device for my Physics class using these materials:

10 straws

8 x 8 cardboard piece

cellotapes (to attach the joints and nothing else!)

The egg must survive a fall of about... 10 ~ 15 feet I assume...

Please feel free to post your kind advices!

It isn't that difficult, I was in Science Olympiad for two years as a freshman and sophomore in high school and we had to do this as an event. Occasionally the egg would break but we usually managed to keep it in one piece :smile:

Oh and it is possible that the science olympiad website has some suggestions but it has been too long for me to remember (its probably something easy like scienceolympiad.com) you can try searching google.

1. How do I begin constructing the egg drop device?

To begin constructing the egg drop device with 10 straws and cardboard, you will need to gather all of your materials and create a plan for your design. This may involve measuring and cutting the cardboard and straws to specific lengths.

2. How many straws and pieces of cardboard do I need?

You will need a total of 10 straws and at least 2 pieces of cardboard to construct the egg drop device. However, you may choose to use more straws or cardboard for a more complex design.

3. What is the purpose of using straws and cardboard in the egg drop device?

The straws and cardboard serve as the main structure of the egg drop device. The straws provide support and stability, while the cardboard acts as a cushion for the egg.

4. How should I arrange the straws and cardboard to protect the egg?

There are many different ways to arrange the straws and cardboard in the egg drop device. Some suggestions include creating a criss-cross pattern with the straws or creating a cage-like structure with the cardboard pieces.

5. Will my egg survive the drop using this device?

There is no guarantee that the egg will survive the drop using this device. The success of the egg drop will depend on the design and construction of the device, as well as the materials used. It may take some trial and error to create a successful egg drop device.